History of the College
The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS) has roots in three historic colleges that became the foundation of what we now know as the University of Guelph. In 1964, the University of Guelph was formed from the merger of Ontario Agricultural College (OAC), the Ontario Veterinary College, and the Macdonald Institute. Wellington College was added later that year to offer degree programs in arts and sciences.
In 1969, Wellington College was divided into the College of Arts, the College of Physical Science, and the College of Social Science. Meanwhile, engineering had been taught within OAC since its establishment in 1874. In 1989, OAC’s School of Engineering merged with the College of Physical Sciences to form the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences. In 2017, the College’s name was changed to the “College of Engineering and Physical Sciences."
Today, the College is one of seven at the University, and is a hub for research and innovation in fundamental and applied sciences, teaching and learning. World-leading faculty are pioneering research that advances our understanding of critical scientific topics. Reputable undergraduate and graduate programming, with ample opportunities for experiential learning, make CEPS and the University of Guelph an enticing destination for top students. The College's research and partnerships position it as a key contributor to the University of Guelph and the local economy, with its impact felt around the world.