Welcome to the Bachelor of Science degree program. We are excited to have you join us.
Picking your courses for Semester 1 (Fall 2018):
The process for creating your first semester schedule is outlined below.
1. Identify your major:
(If you're unsure of your major, refer to your offer of admission.)
- Animal Biology (ABIO)
- Biochemistry (BIOC)
- Biodiversity (BIOD)
- Biological and Medical Physics (BMPH)
- Biological and Pharmaceutical Chemistry (BPCH)
- Biological Science (BIOS)
- Bio-Medical Science (BIOM)
- Biomedical Toxicology (BTOX)
- Chemical Physics (CHPY)
- Chemistry (CHEM)
- Environmental Biology (ENVB)
- Environmental Geoscience and Geomatics (EGG)
- Food Science (FOOD)
- Human Kinetics (HK)
- Marine and Freshwater Biology (MFB)
- Mathematical Science (MSCI)
- Microbiology (MICR)
- Molecular Biology and Genetics (MBG)
- Nanoscience (NANO)
- Neuroscience (NEUR)
- Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences (NANS)
- Physical Science (PSCI)
- Physics (PHYS)
- Plant Science (PLSC)
- Theoretical Physics (THPY)
- Wildlife Biology and Conservation (WBC)
- Zoology (ZOO)
2. Identify your courses:
- ABIO, BIOC, BIOD, BIOS, BIOM, BTOX, ENVB, FOOD, HK, MFB, MICR, MBG, NEUR, NANS, PLSC, WBC and ZOO majors select MATH*1080 Elements of Calculus I.
- EGG majors select either MATH*1080 Elements of Calculus I or MATH*1200 Calculus I.
- BMPH, BPCH, CHPY, CHEM, MSCI, NANO, PSCI, PHYS and THPY who do have Grade 12 Physics and Calculus and Vectors select IPS*1500 Integrated Mathematics and Physics I.
- BMPH, BPCH, CHPY, CHEM, MSCI, NANO, PSCI, PHYS and THPY who do not have Grade 12 Physics but do have Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors, select MATH*1200 Calculus I.
Students who do not have Grade 12 Biology should contact the B.Sc. Academic Counselling Centre for advice. Contact information is below.
Students who do have Grade 12 Biology should select the biology course in the list that follows for your major.
- ABIO majors select BIOL*1050 Biology of Plants & Animals in Managed Ecosystems (listed as “Biology of Managed Ecosystems” on WebAdvisor).
- BIOD, ENVB, EGG, MFB, PLSC, WBC and ZOO majors select BIOL*1070 Discovering Biodiversity.
- BIOM, HK, NEUR and NANS majors select BIOL*1080 Biological Concepts of Health.
- BIOC, BMPH, BPCH, BIOS, BTOX, CHEM, FOOD, MICR, MBG and NANO majors select BIOL*1090 Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology.
- CHPY, MSCI, PSCI, PHYS and THPY majors select any one of BIOL*1070, BIOL*1080 or BIOL*1090.
Students who do not have Grade 12 Chemistry select CHEM*1060 Introductory Chemistry. For subsequent semesters, see your revised Schedule of Studies.
All students who do have Grade 12 Chemistry select CHEM*1040 General Chemistry I.
Students who do not have Grade 12 Physics select PHYS*1300 Fundamentals of Physics. For subsequent semesters, see your revised Schedule of Studies.
Students who do have Grade 12 Physics should select the physics course listed below for your major.
- ABIO, BIOC, BIOD, BIOS, BIOM, BTOX, ENVB, EGG, FOOD, HK, MFB, MICR, MBG, NEUR, NANS, PLSC, WBC and ZOO majors select PHYS*1080 Physics for Life Sciences.
- BMPH, BPCH, CHPY, CHEM, MSCI, NANO, PSCI, PHYS and THPY majors select IPS*1500 Integrated Mathematics and Physics I. This is a 1.00 credit course and will count as two courses – math and physics. You will only select four courses in total.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED COURSE OR ELECTIVE
- BMPH, CHPY, MSCI, PHYS and THPY majors select MATH*1160 Linear Algebra.
- EGG majors select GEOG*1350 Earth, Hazards and Global Change.
- NANO majors select NANO*1000 Introduction to Nanoscience.
- For all other majors, select an elective. You can choose an Arts or Social Science elective from a broad range of subjects. Options include languages, economics, anthropology, history and philosophy. See the B.Sc. Academic Advising website for possible electives.
3. Register for your courses:
- Log in to WebAdvisor. Detailed instructions are available in the WebAdvisor Tutorial.
- Select your required courses and create a class schedule by choosing lecture and seminar/laboratory times that do not conflict. Be aware that our system does not prevent class conflicts.
- Find an elective course (if you have an elective in Semester 1).
- Register for your courses as described in the instructions.
- Check your schedule to ensure that there are no conflicts.
- Some electives are required courses by certain majors and may be restricted. If space allows, restrictions on these courses may be removed near the end of the course selection period, allowing all students the opportunity to register.
- Should you find that all sections of a required course are full, please first check the B.Sc. Academic Advising website for updates. If you continue to experience difficulties, please contact the B.Sc. Academic Counselling Centre (contact information below).
- Distance Education (DE) courses have no scheduled class time as these courses are online.
- If you are a transfer student with transfer credits, contact the B.Sc. Academic Counselling Centre to schedule an appointment (phone or in-person appointments are available during regular office hours).
- Co-op students are required to maintain a minimum 70% average in first year, over two full-time academic semesters (minimum 4.00 credits), to be eligible to continue in the Co-op program.
- Bio-Medical Science majors are required to maintain a minimum 75% average in first year, over two full-time academic semesters (minimum 5.00 credits), to be guaranteed continuation in the major.
- Students not admitted directly to the BIOM or HK majors, but wishing to transfer to one of these majors, should consult the respective Schedule of Studies for information.
- Students not admitted directly to Co-op, but wishing to apply to one of these majors, need to apply by the last class day of their first semester. Contact the B.Sc. Academic Counselling Centre for assistance.
- B.Sc. Academic Advising information
- Revised Schedule of Studies links
- First semester students considering their options for Arts or Social Science electives
Contact InformationB.Sc. Academic Counselling Centre
Summerlee Science Complex, Room 1329
Please refer to the B.Sc. Academic Advising website before contacting the B.Sc. Academic Counselling Centre, as we may have already posted an answer to your question.
You can access instant chat or call (519) 824-4120, ext. 53788.