Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.Sc.[Agr.])
Welcome to the Bachelor of Science in Agriculture program! We are excited to welcome you to the University of Guelph!
Picking your courses for Semester 1 (Fall 2019):
As a B.Sc.(Agr.) student in Semester 1 you will select four courses (2.50 credits). The courses you should select are listed here:
- AGR*1110 Introduction to the Agrifood Systems. It is worth 1.00 credits.
- BIOL*1050 Biology of Plants & Animals in Managed Ecosystems (listed as “Biology of Managed Ecosystems” on WebAdvisor). If you do not have high school biology, please consult your Program Counsellor (contact information below).
- MATH*1080 Elements of Calculus I
- CHEM*1060 Introductory Chemistry for students who do not have grade 12 or 4U chemistry. This course is only available in Distance Education (DE) format. CHEM*1040 will then be taken in the Winter semester.
CHEM*1040 General Chemistry I for students who do have grade 12 or 4U chemistry.
Should you find that all sections of a required course are full, please check the B.Sc.(Agr.) program website for announcements and if there is no additional information posted, contact your Program Counsellor (contact information below).
- Pick your courses as soon as possible. Availability of desired sections may fill up quickly.
- You will use WebAdvisor to pick your courses. Detailed instructions on using WebAdvisor are available in the WebAdvisor Tutorial.
- As you make your class schedule, you will notice that many courses have several lecture/lab/seminar sections. Pick the ones that best fit in your schedule to ensure there are no conflicts in your timetable.
- B.Sc.(Agr.) students will not select an elective course in this semester. Your four courses will make up a full-time schedule because AGR*1110 is worth a double credit.
- You take a common first year as an undeclared student. In your third semester, you will declare one of our three majors.
- Review the Schedule of Studies (the order in which you are advised to take courses). Go to the B.Sc.(Agr.) degree program section of the Undergraduate Calendar and click on your potential major (you will choose from three majors). Here you will find each major laid out by semester, with listings of courses that are available for selection throughout your studies.
Course Selection Tips:
- Download the Class Schedule Worksheet to assist in creating your schedule.
- Select courses that are more limiting (e.g., courses which have one lecture time) first and build your schedule around those times.
- Distance Education (called DE) courses are an alternative way to take courses without meeting for regularly scheduled classes. All course content is presented online. You will find DE course times listed in WebAdvisor as TBA. Only select courses are offered in distance education format.
Please refer to the B.Sc.(Agr.) program website for important announcements.
For additional information and counselling please contact:Melinda Vanryn
B.Sc.(Agr.) Program Counsellor
Johnston Hall, Room 133A
(519) 824-4120, ext. 54549