LGBTQ2IA+ Identity and Religious and Spiritual Identity
Resources at the Intersection of LGBTQ2IA+ Identity and Religious and Spiritual Identity
At the University of Guelph, we value creating spaces that are inclusive and celebrate the diverse identities of our student population which includes those who are at the intersection of LGBTQ2IA+ identity and religious, spiritual & worldview identity. Multi-Faith Programs and the Multi-Faith Resource Team, in collaboration with the Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor, have created a list of resources that speak to that intersection.
We always encourage and are ready to support new groups that celebrate the intersection of religious, spiritual & worldview identity and LGBTQ2IA+ identities. If you are looking for resources and support to start a new group, feel free to reach out to the Coordinator of Multi-Faith Programs at email@example.com and the Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Campus at the University of Guelph
Queer Christian Community (QCC), supported by ECM
The Ecumenical Campus Ministry (ECM) offers a Queer Christian Community for people who wish to explore the intersection of Christian faith and their LGBTQ+ identities. There are many ways people live in that intersection, and QCC tries to be a safe and affirming space for all - a space where you don't have to downplay your queerness or your faith identity. QCC hosts a private Facebook Group, and maintains an on-campus library of books and resources related to queer and spiritual identities. For more information, contact Andrew Hyde at email@example.com.
Rainbow Jews, supported by Guelph Hillel
All Jews come in different shades of the rainbow and we are committed to making sure everyone feels safe and welcome in our community! Contact Gila Cotler at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Multi-Faith Resource Team
Particular faith communities have the desire and capacity to serve as strong allies and create safe(r) faith spaces for the LGBTQ2IA+ community. We welcome and encourage the participation and leadership of LGBTQ2IA+ individuals and hope to act as a support and link to local resources. For more information about LGBTQ2IA+ affirming faith resources or to access spiritual care and support, contact Multi-Faith Resource Team member Andrew Hyde at email@example.com.
Multi-Faith Programs Coordinator
The Multi-Faith Programs Coordinator provides information about and facilitates connection to the supports and resources available to students from diverse religious, spiritual and worldview identities.
Visit the Multi-Faith Programs page for more information on supports for students of diverse religious, spiritual & worldview identities, along with opportunities for multi-faith learning and dialogue. Multi-Faith Programs serves all students seeking spiritual support or interested in questions of meaning, values and purpose, whether or not they are affiliated with a religious, spiritual or worldview tradition.
Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor
The Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor provides one-on-one confidential advising and support for students who have questions pertaining to sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
Visit the LGBTQ2IA+ Campus and Community Resources page for more information on Student Clubs and Organizations which support the LGBTQ2IA+ student community at the University of Guelph.
- Affirm United/S’affirmer Ensemble: Works for the full inclusion of people of all gender identities and sexual orientations in the United Church of Canada and in society.
- Dignity Canada Dignité: Canada's organization of Roman Catholics, working within and without the Church to promote the full personhood of those who belong to sexual minorities.
- PFLAG Canada, Religious Organizations: A national organization that offers peer-to-peer support striving to help all Canadians with issues of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
- Proud Anglicans: A list of inclusive Anglican churches in Canada where lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people can be sure they’ll receive a welcome.
- Q Christian Fellowship: Cultivating radical belonging for LGBTQ+ Christians and allies.
- Reconciling Works: Lutherans for Full Participation: Advocates for the full welcome, inclusion, and equity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual/aromantic (LGBTQIA+) Lutherans in all aspects of the life of their Church, congregations, and community.
- Salaam Canada: A volunteer-run national organization dedicated to creating space, supports and programs for people who identify as both Muslim and queer and trans.
- Welcoming Congregations: Working to ensure lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are full members of our Unitarian Universalist communities.