LGBTQ2IA+ Campus and Community Resources
The University of Guelph has a number of student groups who provide resources, support and social opportunities for LGBTQ2IA+ students.
- EngiQueers Guelph: A student group whose objective is to promote and advocate for the inclusion of LGBTQ+ students and their allies.
- Guelph Queer Equality (GQE): A student group aimed at building capacity through social events and offering resources to students.
- Guelph Resource Centre for Gender Empowerment and Diversity (GRCGED): A feminist groups and community space dedicated to promoting diversity and equity through education, advocacy, resource provision, skill-building, outreach and community building.
- OUTline: A confidential support and resource service for individuals with questions relating to sexual orientation and gender identity, online chat and other in-person support programs.
- OVC Pride Veterinary Community: A student group based out of the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) creating safer spaces for the LGBTQ+ community within OVC and to help raise awareness of the LGBTQ+ community within the veterinary profession.
- Queer and Trans People of Colour (QTPOC): A student group specific for building community amongst black, indigenous and people of colour who are queer and transgender.
- Queer Christian Community (QCC): The Ecumenical Campus Ministry offers QCC for people who wish to explore the intersection of Christian faith and their LGBTQ+ identities.
- Student Help and Advocacy Centre (SHAC): A student run advocacy and referral centre that provides a safe space for students to ask questions and get information.
There are a number of program offerings through Fitness and Recreation to encourage physical health and wellness. The schedule of programming is usually released a few weeks prior to the start of a new semester. Within varsity level athletics, students can participate in gendered sports aligned with their gender identity. This new policy change is coming directly from U Sports. Students can find a Universal Changeroom with individual change areas, showers and bathrooms as you enter the fitness facilities if you are interested in a non-gender specific change facility.
Name Changes at the University
The University has processes to enable students to update their name and email address to better reflect their identity.
For students without a legal name change, you can submit the Change of Given Name(s) and/or Gender Identity Form. Instructions on how to submit are found directly in the form, as well as information on where this change will be reflected.
For students with a legal name change, you can submit the Change of Legal Name Request Form.
Student Financial Services
If you find yourself in a unique or challenging financial situation, whether because of your sexual or gender identity or another barrier in your life, there are staff at Student Financial Services that can assist with OSAP, bursaries, emergency financial assistance, budget counselling and much more.
Student Health Services Clinic
The University’s Health Services department offers comprehensive health services for LGBTQ2IA+ students. For students looking for gender-related care, there are physicians that can prescribe and assist with hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Physicians can also prescribe Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), and the testing and treatment of sexual transmitted infections (STIs). Visit Health Services’ website to learn more about what they offer and to book an appointment.
Student Housing Services
Student Housing Services is committed to offering an inclusive and safe environment for all. Connect with the SHS staff and/or the Sexual and Gender Diversity Advisor about concerns or questions so that they can actively work to address these and support LGBTQ2IA+ students living in residence.
ARCH provides anti-oppressive, sex-positive, inclusive care, treatment and prevention services in the area of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted blood-borne infections through innovative health promotion strategies and community engagement.
A community group that offers great events to meet other LGBTQ+ people in the Guelph community.