Students with a Permanent Disability

At the University of Guelph we believe that the educational experience of university should be open to every student who is academically qualified. The university works towards this goal by offering services for students with disabilities, by removing barriers and by encouraging a healthy, open communication among faculty, staff and students.


Students with a permanent disability are eligible for full-time OSAP funding when taking a minimum 40% course load, (1.0 credit per semester). Students taking a 60% load, or more, must apply for full-time OSAP funding. However, students taking a 40% course load have a choice of taking full-time or part-time OSAP funding. Under the full-time program, students are allowed full living costs, and funding for tuition, fees and books. The part-time OSAP program also provides funding for tuition, fees and books, but provides no living allowance.

Students with a permanent disability should register with the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Office. New students may contact the SAS office before beginning their studies. Students who indicate 'permanent disability' on their OSAP profile will need to submit an OSAP Disability Verification form to the Student Financial Services office or by upload through their OSAP account.

If you have any questions, please see our contact information for details on contacting Student Financial Services. For more in-depth information, you may also or arrange an appointment with a financial aid counsellor.

Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)

The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development offers a Bursary for Students With Disabilities (BSWD) to help students in need acquire the equipment and services they require for their studies. Students must demonstrate need on their Full or Part-time OSAP application to qualify for the bursary. Applications are available through the SAS office. The counsellors and advisors in the SAS office will work with individual students to determine the supports that are required.

University of Guelph Bursaries

Students with a permanent disability are eligible to apply for a bursary when they are registered in a minimum of 1.0 credits and have a complete and error-free OSAP application on file for the current study period. Information on bursary applications is posted on the Awards Office's Bursaries web site.

Students are encouraged to use our award search for a listing of awards they may be eligible to receive.

University of Guelph Scholarships

Students with a permanent disability must be registered in a minimum 40% course load (1.0 credit per semester) to receive a scholarship when the terms of the scholarship require full-time registration. If you are taking a reduced course load and are receiving a scholarship, you must submit documentation of a permanent disability to the SAS Office and have your advisor or counsellor E-mail the Student Awards Office to confirm your status.

Students are encouraged to use our award search for a listing of awards they may be eligible to receive.