Join Us Year Round For Group Walks and Tours
If you have binoculars, please bring them to all walks - they're not just for birdwatching!
Come for a nature walk along one of many trails and enjoy The Arboretum's wide array of plants and 1,700 species of trees and shrubs. Maps of the site are available at The Arboretum Centre, Hales-McKay Shelter, Information Kiosk (located at The Arboretum pedestrian entrance) and throughout the grounds. You can also download a pdf of the map below this article . Arboretum grounds are open dawn to dusk, year round. Admission is free.
Nature is known to be unpredictable and unexpected, so what awaits us today? Jenny or Kitty, the Arboretum's Naturalist Interns, will be leading 1 hour long walks every Wednesday. Walks start at The Arboretum kiosk at 12:15 p.m. For further information contact Kitty or Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or ext. 53615. The hike may be cancelled if there is inclement weather.
We also run Wednesday Evening walks for the months of June, July and August that begin at 7 p.m. at the J.C. Taylor Nature Centre. These 1 ½ hour walks will be on a different topic each week and are $2 / person however children under 5 are free. A listing of our 2020 walks will be posted in the Spring of 2020.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE WEDNESDAY WALKS ARE ON NOT HAPPENING IN PERSON AT THIS TIME DUE TO COVID-19. We are offering walks in a virtual format on a weekly basis. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter to receive weekly notifications when the new walk comes out or you can go to our YouTube to check them all out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFg6-3XPBFETE7Wm6ijhrnw/videos
Here is a listing of some of the walks with a link to each one:
Jenny and Kitty's Walks:
- Animal Signs: https://youtu.be/J2CkZ8M4GCc
- Signs of Spring: https://youtu.be/_rvnWCJXvpk
- Pond Study at Wild Goose Woods: https://youtu.be/bVCuJJBUOD0
- A Walk Through Vic Woods: https://youtu.be/kduA0-Qtj5M
- Helping Hands: https://youtu.be/ZBzbSTMa1-4
- A Sample of Seeds: https://youtu.be/Q8oUgDj1uUk
- Spring Wildflowers: https://youtu.be/967fAPYKqQ4
- All About Nests: https://youtu.be/FOyto6OSM9c
- A Handful of Herps: https://youtu.be/EkeZ4W22_yA
- An Intro to Butterflies: https://youtu.be/vjyLUtm0L9g
- About Some Invasives: https://youtu.be/wBoaY7MR-iU
- Dragons Among us: https://youtu.be/BdXNRpbyVPY
Walks led by Gillian
- All About the Act of Pollination: https://youtu.be/OmibMePpqIo
- iNaturalist Tree Hunt: https://youtu.be/Kx-vyWbtLak
- All About Natural Dyes: https://youtu.be/sU1PCieM1r8
Enjoy a 1 ½ hour walk led by Arboretum Auxiliary Docents. Registration is required two weeks in advance. $5.00 per person (minimum charge of $60.00 applies to groups fewer than 12 persons). Bus tour groups welcome - complimentary admission for bus driver and tour leader. To book a group walk, call 519-824-4120 ext. 54110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Led by an Arboretum staff member, your 1-3 hour tour includes interpretations of the use of plants for horticultural or naturalization plantings while touring plant collections and natural landscapes. The tour can also be customized to focus on education, natural history, wildlife or horticulture. Fee is $120.00 for 1 hour, $150.00 for 2 hrs or $210.00 for 3 hours. Maximum 20 participants. Registration is required at least 2 weeks in advance. To book an interpretive tour, call 519-824-4120 ext. 54110 or email email@example.com.