Personal Vehicle Use

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

The University of Guelph does NOT provide insurance for employee's private vehicles.

Employees may use their personal automobile while on University business; however it is the employee's insurance that will apply in an accident situation. 

Compensation is deemed to be within the current reimbursement rate per kilometer, and therefore the cost of additional endorsements is the personal expense of the vehicle owner. 

In advance of travel, vehicle owners are strongly advised to check with their own insurer to secure an appropriate endorsement to their policy, if necessary. 

Information on reimbursement rates for use of private vehicles can be located in the Travel/Expense Claims page.