Insurance Office Frequently Asked Questions

Any vehicle that is hired for less than 30 consecutive days is considered a rental vehicle. This type of vehicle is not added to the University's insurance policy. The rental company is responsible for obtaining the minimum legally required liability insurance. Most rental company self-insure the physical damage for these vehicles.

Any vehicle that is hired for more than 30 consecutive days is considered leased and is added to the University fleet. It is the University's responsibility to obtain insurance for vehicles it leases.

If you are renting a vehicle through Enterprise the insurance is already included in the price, as long as the vehicle is in the following cities: Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge.  If you are renting outside of these cities, or through another car agency you must purchase the additional insurance at the time of the rental.


It is the responsibility of the individual renting the vehicle to ensure that the loss waiver is included in the rental agreement in all circumstances.


This is an additional daily charge that the rental company offers the renter in order for the rental company to waive any claims against the renter in the event of damages to the rented vehicle. The University provides this coverage up to $45,000.

Please fill out the form and submit a copy to Eric Hinse (x52758) and one to the Insurance Office.


A vehicles being used for University business can be rented from any business that rents vehicles. University of Guelph has a preferred vendor arrangement with Enterprise Car Rental in Guelph.

The department that has provided authorization for the use of the University vehicle is responsible for the deductible.

For vehicles less that 4500 kg the deductible is $1000. Vehicles over 4500 kg have a $2500 deductible.

Only qualified drivers are permitted to use University vehilces. No other person shall operate the vehicle, including relatives, friends or other employees.

You are required to complete the "Terms and Conditions Agreement" form prior to using a University vehicle. Complete the form ans submit a copy to the Insurance Office. Keep a copy for your Department.

University vehicles are to be used for University business ONLY. The vehicles are NOT to be used for any personal purposes.

Only qualified drivers that have a current and valid/unrestricted drivers licence who have filled out the "Terms and Conditions Agreement Form".

No. You are responsible for your own property. You may be able to seek compensation from your home insurer.

Report an accident immediately or as soon as resonably possible to the Insurance Office.

Never admit liability. If you do, you may be prejudicing the insurer's position. File a claim form immediately or as soon as is reasonably possible.