University Graduate Programs
IDS students have pursued graduate studies in both interdisciplinary and disciplinary programs in universities in Canada and abroad.
IDS graduates generally have the requirements to apply to interdisciplinary graduate programs in international development or related fields of study (e.g. rural/urban planning, environmental studies, human rights, international affairs/relations, refugee studies, etc).
Students interested in pursuing graduate studies in specific disciplines (e.g. Economics or Anthropology) may require additional courses at the undergraduate level to satisfy admission requirements.
Where to go for information on graduate studies
Talk to faculty advisors and professors. Faculty members can offer helpful advice and are often aware of graduate schools in their area of study.
Office of Graduate Studies (U of Guelph)
See the section on Future Students (About graduate studies) where you will find general principles useful for students interested in graduate studies at Guelph and elsewhere.
Graduate Studies: A Practical Guide, published by the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS), November 2012
Visit the Further Education section of the Co-operative Education and Career Services (CECS) website and speak to a Career Advisor in person. CECS is located on Trent Lane (behind Rozanski Hall).
Don’t delay! Every institution and/or program will have its own specific admission requirements and application deadlines. Therefore, do your research as early as possible on the programs that interest you.
Advice on how to make life easier for your referees by Dr. Ian Spears.
Some useful websites for graduate programs in Canada and abroad
Graduate studies at the University of Guelph:
- U of Guelph Office of Graduate Studies (or see U of Guelph IDS Graduate Program)
- U of Guelph Capacity Development and Extension
- U of Guelph Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- U of Guelph Rural Planning and Development
Graduate Studies elsewhere:
- Canadian Association for Studies in International Development (CASID) - lists Canadian and International programs in IDS
- Destineducation.ca - Web Directory of schools in Canada and abroad
- A directory of graduate programs in Canada and elsewhere organized by subject
- Thompson Peterson’s Education Resource
Funding Opportunities for Graduate Students
- Most universities will offer funding opportunities through internal awards and scholarships or by providing employment opportunities through teaching, research and service assistantships. Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program (OGS)
- Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)
- The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- Student Awards.com