UPDATE for new Fall 2020 students: As a precaution against COVID-19, the office is closed and ID cards are not available for pickup. Please submit your photo for your ID card online and then follow the steps for uploading the required documentation on WebAdvisor to confirm your identity and citizenship. We will send your card to the mailing address on file; please confirm your mailing address using the instructions below.
Staff members: For information about staff ID cards, please visit the Information for Staff webpage.
University of Guelph-Humber students
If you are a University of Guelph-Humber student, please check with the University of Guelph-Humber Registrarial Services for Student ID Card Information.
University of Guelph students
The University requires proof of identity and citizenship before releasing student ID cards. Please carefully review the criteria to obtain your student ID card below. The number and types of documents required depend on your place of residency and citizenship status.
Students can upload the required documentation on WebAdvisor by following the steps below. We accept scanned copies and photos of documents. If you are a Canadian citizen and are submitting a copy of your passport, you do not need to submit additional documents and do not need to complete steps 9 or 10 below.
- Sign into WebAdvisor.
- Select "Students" under the "Main Menu" tab on the right side of the screen.
- Select "ID Card Verification" under "Registration" on the right side of the screen.
- In the table, locate the row with the description "Id Card Verification #1" and click on the "Upload" link for that row (last column on the right).
- After reading the information on this page carefully, check off the box for "I understand that I need to confirm my mailing address on WebAdvisor."
- Click the "Choose Upload File" button and select your document, or drop your file into the boxed area. You can only submit one document on this page. Files must be smaller than 5MB. Accepted file types are PDF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF and TIFF.
- Click the "SUBMIT" button at the bottom of the page.
- Click "SUBMIT" in the "Confirm File Upload" window that pops up. The next screen confirms that your document has been successfully uploaded.
- If you are required to upload a second document, return to the "ID Card Verification" page, select the "Upload" link for "Id Card Verification #2," and repeat steps 5 to 8.
- If you are required to upload a third document, return to the "ID Card Verification" page, select the "Upload" link for "Id Card Verification #3," and repeat steps 5 to 8.
We will contact you at your U of G email account if there are any issues with the uploaded documents.
Confirming your mailing address
Once you have submitted your photo and the University has received the required documents, your student ID card will be sent to the mailing address we have on file. Exception: students living in on-campus residence will receive their ID card when they arrive at the residence (if they have uploaded their required documents). Please ensure we have the correct mailing address on file. Sign into WebAdvisor, click on "Students" under "Main Menu" and then click on "Change My Address/Phone Number" under "Personal Info (User Profile)." If you need to change or add a mailing address, see the instructions for changing or adding an address.
Criteria to obtain your student ID card:
All documents listed below must be valid (i.e., not expired) and in the same name as the applicant. The name must be the same as the name on the application and in the University's records systems. If there has been a legal name change, a marriage certificate or other documentation supporting the name change must be provided.
If you are a Canadian citizen:
- Option 1: Your valid Canadian passport
- Option 2: Both your birth certificate issued by a Canadian jurisdiction and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
- Option 3: Your Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
If you are a permanent resident of Canada:
- Option 1: Your valid Permanent Resident Card and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
- Option 2: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
- Option 3: Record of Landing (IMM1000) and one piece of valid, government-issued photo ID
If you are an individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act, we will accept either the Canadian Certificate of Indian Status or the Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS).
If you are an International student:
Your current (non-Canadian) passport is required. Please also submit your valid study permit, if one is available. For information about study permits, contact an International Student Advisor.