Explore - Asia
With the current restrictions on international travel, it is not possible to visit China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam or Hong Kong (PDR China) but we can still virtually explore their culture, traditions, history, beauty and study abroad opportunities. Here we have gathered some resources for you to explore and learn more about these countries.
Exploring Asia Presentation
Explore the culture and what it means to study abroad in China, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Hong Kong (PDR China).
Studying in Asia
Check out what past UofG study abroad participants have to say about studying in Asia.
You can also use our Program Search Tool to see which universities we have partnered with in this region and find links to visit the partner university website to learn more about how it can fit into your degree. Using the search tool you can find information about the semester dates, courses offered in English, residence, and more.
Movies, Documentaries, and Books
An entertaining and fun way to get to know a culture is through their movies, documentaries, or books. There are many popular films and books gaining attention and visibility, many of which are available on the streaming platforms available through your UofG Central ID.
A popular genre from this region is Japanese Animation known as Anime, and Japanese comics called Magna. Often times they depict real cultural practices allowing the viewers to learn about Japanese culture. Other books from this region are:
- The Things They Carried by Tom O'Brien (Vietnam)
- The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Vietnam)
- Malays in Singapore: Culture, Economy, and Ideology by Tania Li (Singapore)
Or grab some popcorn and check out these films:
- Asian Insight: a series of six films that explore the past and present social structures, behavioural patterns and relationships, beliefs, art, architecture, and artefacts or the people of Asia
- Japan: Geography and Early Cultures
- Seven Samurai (Japan)
- In the Mood for Love (China)
- Tokyo Story (Japan)
- The Big Durian (Malaysia)
- The Scent of Green Papaya (Vietnam)
- Apprentice (Singapore)
Arts & Culture
Google's Arts and Culture site can help you to explore museums, cities, history, and culture. Here are some samples of the Asian exploration you can do from the comfort of your own home!
- China Modern Contemporary Art Document
- Visit Malaysia
- Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Singapore, Sarong Kebaya and Style: Peranakan Fashion
- Meshiagare! Flavours of Japan
- The Institute for Studies of Society, Economy, and Environment (Vietnam)
- Wonders of China
- Made in Japan
Restaurants and Recipes
One of the most exciting parts of learning about a new culture is trying new foods! Food is an important part of culture and is an expression of cultural identity. If you are looking to practice your cooking skills, here are some recipes for you to test out:
- Easy Potstickers Recipe (Chinese dumplings)
- Sushi (Japan)
- Bubur Cha Cha (Malaysian Coconut Milk Dessert)
- Hong Kong Style Wonton Noodle Soup
Or if you don't feel like cooking tonight, try out these places in the Guelph area: