Global Affairs Canada: Student Exchange Program Scholarships
2020-2021 Student Exchange Program Scholarships
Global Affairs Canada offers funding opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and visiting researchers or faculty members to conduct research or professional development in Canada.
These scholarships provide an opportunity for University of Guelph faculty members to develop research collaborations by hosting fully funded students and/or faculty from eligible countries according to the guidelines of each program. Internal Application forms can be found at the bottom of this webpage. The Centre for International Programs will submit the applications to Global Affairs Canada on behalf of the University.
For Faculty Mobility Program, go to Faculty Mobility Program page for more information. The application deadline will be announced when the competition is announced.
For Canada-Brazil Joint Research Projects, go to Canada-Brazil Joint Research Funding for more information. The application deadline will be announced when the competition is announced.
|Scholarship Name||For Whom||U of G Internal Deadline|
|Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program||Students from CARICOM countries||TBA (usually in April)|
|Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program||Faculty or staff at post-secondary institutions in CARICOM countries||TBA (usally in April)|
|Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship||Students from Chile||TBA (usally in April)|
|Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program||Students from Latin America and the Caribbean||TBA (usally in April)|
|Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (SEED)||Students from ASEAN countries||February 26, 2021|
- Must be citizens of specific countries (please check the guidelines associated with each scholarship program).
- who have obtained Canadian citizenship or who have applied for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible;
- already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada are not eligible;
- already enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible; and
- must be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution (for students) OR must be employed full-time as faculty or as international managers/administrators (for the Faculty Leadership Program).
- must engage in full-time professional development, studies or research as defined by the Canadian institution;
- must be proficient in the language of instruction at the Canadian institution (English or French) before their arrival in Canada, as the scholarship does not cover language training;
- in pharmacy, medicine, dentistry or other health fields are excluded from clinical training or clinically-oriented research involving direct patient-care;
- may not hold any other scholarship granted by the Government of Canada;
- may arrive in Canada for the uptake of their award between June 1, 2021 but no later than February 1, 2022. Failure to arrive during this time may result in the cancellation of the scholarship. In exceptional cases, and with prior approval from DFATD, the arrival deadline may be extended to March 1, 2022;
- must ensure that they have appropriate health insurance for the full duration of the scholarship, as per the policies of the Canadian institution; and
- must focus primarily on full-time professional development, studies or research during their stay in Canada.
- For college and undergraduate applications, a written institutional collaboration and student exchange agreement or memorandum of understanding between the Canadian institution and the candidate’s home institution must be in place at the time of application. Please use the Study Abroad Program search to determine if we have an exisiting student exchange agreement with a specific institution.
- For graduate applications, an inter-institutional agreement is not mandatory.
- Applications submitted directly by a candidate or their home institution will not be accepted.
- Scholarships cannot be deferred and are not renewable.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have not previously received a scholarship under the Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program, the Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program, the Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship or the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program.
- Scholarships are not taxable for either the Canadian institution or the scholarship recipient.
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for ELAP, CARICOM and CHILE schlarships are:
- $7,200 CAN for college, undergraduate or graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of study or research; or
- $9,700 CAN for graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a period of five to six months of study or research.
- $2,700 CAN for faculty members for two to three weeks of course work or research as part of their professional development;
- $2,700 CAN for international directors, managers or administrators for two to three weeks of course work, or for a practicum in the area of internationalization of post-secondary institutions or student mobility as part of their professional development; or
- $9,700 CAN for faculty members for five to six months of study or research at the graduate level.
The Funding amounts for the ASEAN (SEED) Scholarships is:
- CAD 10,200 for college, undergraduate or graduate students (Master's and PhD) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of study or research;
- CAD 12,700 for graduate students (Master's and PhD) for a period of five to six months of study or research; or
- CAD 15,900 for undergraduate and college students for a period of eight months or two academic terms of study or research.
Submitting Your Application
Guelph faculty and interested candidates wishing to conduct research at the University of Guelph are encouraged to determine a mutually agreeable program of potential research interest before completing an application. Students interested in coming as researchers must contact and secure a Guelph faculty member who will act as their host and supervisor. Please note that applications must be submitted to Allison Broadbent, Study Abroad Manager at the Centre for International Programs by the appropriate deadlines February 26, 2021 for the ASEAN scholarship and TBA (usually April) for CARICOM, ELAP and CHILE
- Use the internal application forms attached to this webpage and include all required documents as outlined in the application
- Applications received in the Centre for International Programs by the internal deadline date will be submitted to Global Affairs Canada by CIP on behalf of the University.
If you would like assistance with proposal development or have any questions please contact Allison Broadbent at firstname.lastname@example.org