Safe Travel with Students

Planning to Travel Outside of Canada with a Group of Students?

If you are travelling internationally with students or you are supervising a student travelling internationally for a conference, research project, internship or credit course, the Centre for International Programs' Safe Travel page provides information on how to prepare yourself and your students for travel.

Safe International Travel Policy for Students

The University has developed the Safe International Travel Policy for Students to assist faculty, staff and students in determining appropriate destinations for travel related to University of Guelph activities.

Check the Global Affairs website (formally Department of Foreign Affairs Trade and Development travel) to see if there is a travel advisory for your destination.


All students travelling internationally for academic reasons must register for and complete DepartSmart, the on-line Pre-departure Orientation co-ordinated by the Centre for International Programs (CIP), which also requires you to complete emergency contact and a liability section.

If you are travelling with students as a coordinator of a field trip or other reasons, CIP will register you in DepartSmart and ask you to complete contact information and a trip itinerary. More details under 'Registering your travel with CIP'.

Guard.Me Travel Health Insurance

All U of G students travelling for academic purposes are required to purchase Guard.Me travel health insurance. For group travel, it may be cheaper to purchase travel health insurance as a group. More details under 'Registering your travel with CIP'.

Registering your travel with CIP

Find more information about registering for DepartSmart and group travel health insurance, here.