Student Exchange Programs
What is an exchange?
An exchange involves a formal agreement between the University of Guelph and an international university that allows us to exchange students each year. A Guelph student, can take courses on exchange at one of our partner universities and transfer credits back to their Guelph degree when they return.
Why you should go on an exchange program
- As a UG student on exchange, you would pay UG tuition and fees, not international student tuition and fees.
- You can take courses that count towards your degree while studying in another country.
- You receive support before, during and after your exchange from the CIP office at UG and the international office at your host university.
- You will build your intercultural skills and resume, learn about yourself and the world, make new friends, and develop a global perspective.
Guelph has exchange agreements with over 100 partner institutions in over 30 countries! Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Latin America...there are so many choices available to you. Find out more about your options by using our handy Study Abroad Program Search.
Number of Exchange Spaces Available
An updated list of spaces for the 2020/21 applications will be posted in December for your reference.
The University of Guelph partners with other Canadian universities to offer exchange opportunities to students in France, Germany, China and India:
- Ontario/Rhone-Alpes (ORA) Program
- Ontario/Baden-Wurttemberg (OBW) Program
- Ontario/Jiangsu (OJS) Program
- Ontario/India (OIN) Program
- Third Year in Nice Program
Please note that there are separate paper applications for the ORA, OBW, OJS and OIN programs which must be completed and handed in to CIP, as well as the online Study Abroad Application. Click on each of the programs above for program and application details.
Students from all undergraduate and graduate programs, who meet the minimum cumulative average requirement of 70%, are eligible to apply for exchange. Students who have a cumulative average between 67-69% and who have experienced serious circumstances that have affected their grades during a specific semester (such as health issues, a death in the family, a personal or family crisis, or recent diagnosis of a learning disability) will be considered.
To apply for exchange, you must first attend a Study Abroad Information Session with the Centre for International Programs. Once you've attended a Study Abroad Information Session you will receive access to the online Study Abroad application.
Exchange Application Deadline
Applications for all regular exchange programs & the Third Year in Nice program during the 2020/2021 academic year (S20, F20, W21) are due Friday, January 24th, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Students applying for the ORA, OBW or OJS provincial consortium exchanges must submit the provincial paper application to the Centre for International Programs by the dates sepecified in the links above, and submit University of Guelph's online application by Friday, January 24th, 2020.