I have a graduate student from another country who wants to come here to do research toward her thesis at home but not register in courses. Is that possible?

 Yes, but there are several things to consider:

  1.  Are you willing and able to supervise this person on top of other responsibilities you currently have. Remember they are coming a long way and spending a lot of money to visit, don't say yes lightly.
  2. For all kinds of reasons the visitor will need some sort of status at the University and not just come as a tourist. 
  3. Since this visitor will not be a registered student he/she will not have access to things like student residence, the bus pass, the athletic centre and other student benefits.
  4. The visitor must have comprehensive health insurance coverage and it's highly recommended that he/she be required to purchase the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). Contact HR or the International Student Advisor for details.