GryphLifeContact Us
Massey Hall

Living in Canada

Welcome to Canada!

Whether you've just arrived in Canada or have been living here few a few years, we're here to support you with navigating your life here. Explore resources below and if you have questions or just want to chat, please reach out to our International Student Advisors.

Woman looking at bank card and laptop

Setting up a Bank Account in Canada

Information on how to open a bank account in Canada, including a list of Banks close to the University of Guelph.

Student Wellness Centre

Health Insurance & Healthcare Providers

Information and resources about your health coverage as an international student as well as a list of on-campus and off- campus healthcare providers.

Smartphone in hands

Getting a Phone Plan in Canada

Whether you already have a phone or need a new one, here is some information and resources for setting up a phone plan in Canada.

Gryph in UC Chef's Hall

Exploring Food Options in Guelph

Food options in Guelph, including information on using your meal plan both on-campus and off-campus plus a list of online services.

Ontario photo card graphic

Ontario Photo Card

Tired of carrying around your passport and study permit for identification purposes? You can keep these documents in a safe place and apply for an Ontario Photo ID Card instead.

Enter key that says 'scam'

Protect Yourself from Scams

It is important that you know how to protect yourself against scams targeting international students. Please read these resources for more information about how to identify fraud, how to report it, and how to protect yourself.

Student on phone in front of laptop with notebook

Working in Canada as an International Student

For international students, there are a few additional considerations to consider to make sure that you are eligible to work while studying. Learn more about working in Canada!


Income Tax

You may be eligible for a refund or some benefits from the Canadian Government.