Ahmed Refaey Hussein
Find Related People by Keyword
Multi-access Edge Computing and IoT Systems:
- Hardware: USRP, System-on-Module boards, System-on-Chip boards, Programmable Edge Devices with LTE-A connectivity
- Software: Fullstack for Private 5G-Core Network, Software Define Perimeter
Education and Employment Background
Dr. Ahmed Refaey Hussein received his Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Université Laval in 2011. He was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Western University (2012-2013) before conducting research and development in the private industrial sector (2014-2016) and finally moved into an Assistant Professor role, and then Associate Professor with Manhattan College, USA (2016-2022). Dr. Hussein joined the University of Guelph in 2022 as an Assistant Professor in Computer Engineering.
Hussein’s research aims to improve technologies' infrastructure, efficiency, security, and data privacy, with practical implications in industries ranging from healthcare to cellular networks. His focus is on embedded technology for the development of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and cyber-physical computing systems (CPCS), including:
- Advancing hierarchical cloud, edge, IIoT, and mobile computing in embedded technologies for cyber-physical computing systems to enable secure, intelligent applications.
- Establishing the field of mobile/wireless edge hardware learning, enabling heterogeneous wireless nodes to perform one or multiple real-time distributed tasks on the edge of the network; and
- Designing and optimizing distributed, smart, and autonomous IoT-enabled cyber-physical technologies will revolutionize the operation of systems spanning many industries.
NSF Award Number: 2153667
Project Title: Collaborative Research: IRES Track I: Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Research in Spain on Smart Connected Systems (UIRiSCS)
IRCC-Awarded Project- Cycle 03
Project title: Designing Secure and Trustworthy Internet of Things (IoT) Systems
- Associate Editor, IEEE Systems Journal, 2022-Present.
- Co-Editor in Chief, IEEE-Canadian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2020- Present.