Italy Field School: Women of Ischia - Renaissance Poets, Printers and Intellectuals
Please note: While CIP is hopeful that Field Schools will be able to run in Summer 2022, we are monitoring the COVID-19 situation carefully and will keep students updated if we are not able to offer any of the Field Schools.
The course examines the lives, works and depictions of various Renaissance women who lived on the island of Ischia. The most famous of these women was the poet and Reformer Vittoria Colonna, but there were many other women of the d’Avalos, Orsini, del Balzo and other Neapolitan families who were famous for their politics, patronage, religious views and intellectual contributions to the Renaissance. The course includes rips to the Castello Aragonese and the collections of Sant’Antonio di Padova on Ischia, the island of Capri, day trips to Naples to visit galleries, museums and villas, possible trips to Amalfi and Pescara
Field School Details
- Instructor: Dr. Sally Hickson, School of Fine Art and Music
- Offered: Summer 2022
- Prerequisite: 68% cumulative average (Students with a 65 - 67% cumulative average may be considered if there are extenuating circumstances that affected their marks which are described on their application.)
- The (tentative) course outline can be found at the bottom of this page
- If you have any questions about the program, please contact Dr. Sally Hickson.
Program Dates (tentative)
May 2 - May 22, 2022
Students will be registered in HUMN 3600 for 1.0 credits and can choose to take an additional 0.5 credit Italian Language course level to be determined based on your Italian Language proficiency.
Students should budget for the following:
- Round-trip airfare to Italy
- Tuition and fees at the University of Guelph for 1.0 credits or 1.5 credits
- The Italy Field School fee: approximately $4800 which covers the following in Italy - accommodations, transportation for field trips and to field sites, admission fees for venues. Amount is subject to change based on fluctuating exchange rate.
- Mandatory travel health and emergency insurance through the company Guard Me ($1.65 / day)
- Personal expenses (food, additional personal travel, etc)
Students applying for the program must have the pre-requisites for the program (see above) by time the program begins in May 2022 (or permission from the instructor), and must have a 68% cumulative average. (Students with a 65 - 67% cumulative average may be considered if there are extenuating circumstances that affected their marks which are described on their application.)
Apply to the Italy Field School
To apply for Field School programs you must complete CIP's online application. Step-by-step application instructions are outlined in the link below.