The Department of Economics and Finance is one of the most active economics research institutions in Canada, and is ranked in the top 4% worldwide by RePEc for research output.
Research Chairs and Fellowships
Three of our department members are holders of important research chairs or fellowships:
- Rene Kirkegaard is a Canada Research Chair in Risk Management and Regulation and a University Research Leadership Chair
- Thanasis Stengos is a University Research Chair in Econometrics
- Yiguo Sun a Senior Research Fellow at the Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics
External Research Grants
Many DEF faculty are holders of external research grants:
Tri-Council Grants (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR)
- Mike Hoy
- $65,880 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2017 – March 31, 2022
- Title: Social Evaluation, Risk and Information
- Alex Maynard
- $94,000 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2017 – March 31, 2022
- Title: Small Persistent Deviations from Long Run Equilibrium
- Ilias Tsiakas
- $79,310 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2017 – March 31, 2022
- Title: Carbon Emissions and Global Financial Markets
- Kris Inwood
- $148,374 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2017 – March 31, 2021
- Title: Quantitative Aspects of Well-Being and Inequality in British Settler Societies
- Rene Kirkegaard
- $68,600 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2017 – March 31, 2021
- Title: Endogenous Criteria Success and Multitasking
- Yiguo Sun
- $96,430 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2016 – March 31, 2021
- Title: Functional-Coefficient Spatial Autoregressive Models
- Thanasis Stengos
- $76,875 SSHRC Insight Grant; March 15, 2016 – March 31, 2021
- Title: Growth Convergence and Country Club Formation
- Thanasis Stengos
- $85,000 NSERC Discovery Grant
- March 15, 2015 – March 31, 2020
- Title: A Long Memory Markov Switching Model
- Louise Grogan
- $30,996 SSHRC Insight Development Grant; June 1, 2018 – May 31, 2020
- Title: Indigenous Cultures, Extractive Colonialism
- Kurt Annen
- $60,534 SSHRC Insight Development Grant; June 1, 2018 – May 31, 2020
- Title: Democratization and Economic Growth
- Johanna Goertz
- $31,500 SSHRC Standard Research Grant; Apr 1, 2011 – Mar 31, 2020
- Title: Approval Voting in Diverse Voting Situations: Theory and Experiments
Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Kris Inwood
- $1,465,000 CFI; July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2022
- Title: The Canadian Peoples project
Other Research Activities
DEF faculty are also actively engaged in important professional research activity, such as:
- Professor Michael Hoy is Editor of Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, and is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Economic Inequality, and the Journal of Risk and Insurance.
- Professor Thanasis Stengos is Editor of the Review of Economic Analysis, and a member of the Editorial Boards of Journal of Applied Econometrics, Economics Letters, Empirical Economics and International Journal of Business and Economics.
- Professor Kris Inwood is Editor of Social Science History; Editor of the Australian Economic History Review; and Academic Director of the StatCan-UoG Branch Research Data Centre.
- Professor Rene Kirkegaard is an Advisory Editor at Games and Economic Behavior.
- Professor Ilias Tsiakas is an Associate Editor of Economic Inquiry and a Senior Fellow of the Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Professor Nikola Gradojevic is an Assistant Editor of Panoeconomicus, and a Senior Fellow of the Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Professor Ross McKitrick is a Senior Fellow of the Fraser Institute and a member of the Academic Advisory Board of the John Deutsch Institute.
- Professor John Livernois is the founder of the Canadian Resources and Environmental Economics Study Group (CREE) and has hosted two of the annual CREE workshops at the University of Guelph
- Professor Louise Grogan is a Research Fellow of the Institute for Labor Economics (www.iza.org) in Bonn (IZA Bonn), and Senior Research Fellow at University of Central Asia.
- Professor Brian Ferguson is an Editorial Board Member of Substance Use and Misuse
- Professor C. Bram Cadsby is an Associate Editor, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics and a member of the Editorial Board of New Zealand Economic Papers
- Professor J. Atsu Amegashie is an Associate Editor of Defence and Peace Economics and a member of the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics and European Journal of Political Economy