Fire Alarm Systems and Fire Suppression Systems Policy
National Fire Code of Canada, 1995
Ontario Fire Code (O.Reg. 388/97)
To outline responsibility for the inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire alarm systems and fire suppression systems in University-owned or leased buildings.
fire alarm system
a combination of devices designed to warn the building occupants of a fire emergency condition.
fire suppression system
a system intended to automatically detect and extinguish a fire.
- The inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire alarm systems and fire suppression systems shall conform with applicable federal and provincial standards including the Ontario Fire Code, Part 6.
- The inspection, testing and maintenance of fire alarm and fire suppression systems shall be carried out by qualified staff, the manufacturer of the equipment, an authorized agent of the manufacturer, or an approved fire alarm system company.
- The inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire alarm systems and fire suppression systems shall be arranged or confirmed by the department or organizational unit responsible for the administration of the property, in consultation with Security Services or Physical Resources.
- Responsibility for fire protection system inspection, testing, and maintenance shall be addressed in University property lease agreements.
- All persons who would be required to evacuate in the event of a fire alarm shall be notified in advance of any testing of the fire alarm system.
- Information about fire protection system inspection, testing, and maintenance shall be reported to the department (local) joint health and safety committee by personnel responsible for arranging such services.
- Information about the status of University fire protection systems shall be reported to the local Chief Fire Official as required.
See Safety Policy 851.02.02 concerning Fire Safety Plans.
Employees shall become familiar with the purpose and function of fire protection systems in their workplaces.
Effective: September 2000
|File Name||File Type|
|Fire Alarm Systems and Fire Suppression Systems Policy.pdf|
|Fire Alarm Systems and Fire Suppression Systems Policy.docx||DOCX|