To be eligible for OSAP funding, students must be registered in a program that leads directly to a degree or diploma. Students registered in a non-degree program are not eligible to apply for OSAP funding. Under limited circumstances, some qualifying studies may be eligible for funding. Please contact the Financial Aid office and ask to book an appointment with a counsellor.
Course Load Requirements
Please note that co-op work term credits are not included when calculating course load for OSAP purposes.
You are eligible to apply for full-time OSAP assistance if you are enroll in at least 60% of a full course load (per term), or 40% of a full course load, if you are a student with a permanent disability.
Part-time OSAP is available to students who take less than 60% of a full course load. Students with a permanent disability, who are taking 40% of a full course load, have the choice of receiving full- or part-time OSAP funding.
|Course Credits per Term||Course Load||OSAP Funding Available|
|2.0 or more credits||100%||Full time|
|1.5 credits||60%||Full time|
|1.0 credits||40%||Part time, or full time for students with a permanent disability|
|.5 credit||20%||Part time|
Course Load Changes
Changes in your course load can lead to changes in your OSAP funding. If you drop below the minimum requirements you will lose eligibility for your funding plus incur an OSAP academic penalty. Contact our office or book an appointment with a Financial Aid Counsellor before you make any changes to your course load.
Withdrawal from Studies
If you withdraw from your studies, your OSAP funding will be affected, and you will be assessed with an OSAP academic penalty. If you withdrew because of illness, or family emergency, an appeal may be available. Contact our office or book an appointment with a Financial Aid Counsellor before you make any changes.
Any refund of tuition or fees, up to the total value of OSAP received, must be returned to the National Student Loans Service Centre. This government regulation is outlined on the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA), and the signature/consent pages that students sign. All OSAP-funded students agree to these terms and conditions when they apply for OSAP.
- Students must successfully complete at least 60% of a full course load (1.5 credits each term) to maintain OSAP eligibility (co-op work term credits do not count)
- Students with a permanent disability must successfully complete 40% of a full course load (1.0 credits each term) to maintain OSAP eligibility (co-op work term credits do not count)
- Failure to complete the required course load will result in OSAP academic probation or restriction
- Students who receive part-time OSAP funding must successfully complete all funded courses
Please note: courses that are dropped without academic penalty at University of Guelph are not considered to be successfully completed. Students must complete, and pass, the required course load to avoid OSAP academic penalties. Frequent program switches, and course drops or withdrawals may be considered lack of academic progress, and are subject to OSAP academic penalties. Contact Student Financial Services to set up an appointment with a Financial Aid Counsellor to discuss your situation.
You must be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident of Canada, or a Protected Person. You also must meet Ontario residency requirements to apply for OSAP. For complete information on OSAP residency requirements, please visit the OSAP website, or contact Student Financial Services.
Not an Ontario Resident?
- Apply to the government student financial aid program in your home province. Every province and territory in Canada offers a student financial aid program.
Questions About Citizenship:
Lifetime Loan Limits
A student is eligible to receive student financial assistance provided they have not exceeded the lifetime limits as outlined below:
|Students with Disabilities||Students in Doctoral Programs||All Other Students|
|Canada||520 weeks||400 weeks||340 weeks|
|Ontario||520 weeks||400 weeks||340 weeks|
- If a student withdraws before the end of their period of studies, the actual number of weeks of study completed counts toward the lifetime limit.
- For more information about your OSAP lifetime limit please contact email@example.com.
For complete information on OSAP Loan Eligibility Requirements, please visit the OSAP website, or contact:
Student Financial Services: 519-824-4120 extension 58715, or email firstname.lastname@example.org