Ontario Students Studying Outside of Ontario

OSAP funded students may attend post-secondary institutions in another Canadian province, or in another country. Students attending a public institution in another Canadian province are eligible for full OSAP funding. However, students attending an institution outside of Canada are eligible for only the federal portion of OSAP (60% of funding). It is important to ensure that adequate funding is available before making the decision to study outside of Canada.

Exchange students:

If you are going outside of Canada on an official exchange program, and paying fees to University of Guelph, then you will apply for OSAP in the normal way, and will be eligible for full OSAP funding. You will continue to send all your information and paperwork to the Student Financial Services office, 3rd floor, UC.

Applying for OSAP for out-of-province or out-of-country studies:

You will complete a paper OSAP application and a Program Information Form, found on the Forms section of the OSAP website, and send the forms directly to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities, Student Support Branch, in Thunder Bay. You must first send the Program Information Form to the school you plan to attend. The school must complete their section of the form before you send it to the Ministry.

Ontario Student Assistance Program
Ministry of Colleges and Universities
189 Red River Rd
4th Floor
PO Box 4500
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6G9

Visit the OSAP website for further information on studies outside of Ontario, and to see if your school is approved for OSAP funding. You may also contact the Ministry by telephone.

You can contact the branch, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm (Eastern Standard Time) at:

Direct:  1-807-343-7260
Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD): 1-800-465-3958
Toll-free in North America: 1-877-OSAP-411 (1-877-672-7411)
Fax: 1-807-343-7278

Note: If you are planning to attend McGill University or Concordia University in Quebec you must submit your completed OSAP application form directly to their financial aid office. A Program Information Form is not required for these two institutions.