The John R. Evans Leaders Fund (JELF) is designed to help universities attract and retain the very best researchers.
To ensure that JELF proposals are aligned with college and institutional research priorities, the selection and development of JELF proposals is coordinated by colleges. Contact your Associate Dean (Research) to learn more.
|Internal||External||ORF Match Deadline|
|Jan 15||Feb 15||March 15|
|May 15||June 15||July 15|
|Sept 15||Oct 15||Nov 15|
Detailed Timeline and Requirements
|Oct/Feb/Jun||Names of applicants provided to RSO|
|Oct/Feb/Jun||JELF Workshop - Strategic Programs (RSO) with Research Financial Services (RFS)|
|Dec/Apr/Aug 15 (as required by college; speak to your CRM)||
If RSO is coordinating scientific reviews, please submit draft "Research or Technology Development" and "Need for Infrastructure" sections to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your college is coordinating reviews, please work with your CRM to establish a timeline
Submit to email@example.com:
Complete in CAMS:
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Complete in CAMS:
Complete submission in CAMS (Validate and Confirm)
Submit PDF of "Project" to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with a signed OR-5
|Feb/Jun/Oct 15||External deadline|
Submit Draft #1 MCU ORF Small Infrastructure Fund (SIF) Application and Guidelines to email@example.com
Submit final draft MCU ORF Small Infrastructure Fund (SIF) Application and Guidelines for administrative review to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Admin Review and preparation for signature
|Mar/Jul/Nov 30/31||External deadline|
CFI decisions are expected approximately 5 months after submission
Contact departmental purchasing officer and review procurement process and fair market value assessment
|6 months after CFI decision||
ORF decisions are expected approximately 6 months after CFI decisions
Connect with RFS to commence Award Finalization Process
|9 months after CFI decision||Award Finalization deadline|
Steps for Completing a JELF Application
This guide should be used in conjunction with the CFI-published Guidelines for completing a proposal.
- Log onto the CFI website and create an account in CAMS, the online application system
- Select "Create New Proposal" and from the list provided, select “John R. Evans Leaders Fund – Funding for Research Infrastructure"
- To learn how to navigate the online portal, see Getting Started with CAMS
- Project Information: Complete online in CAMS.
- Plain Language Summary: Complete online in CAMS. A 1,500 character plain language summary that may be used by the CFI in public communications. Focus on expected outcomes and benefits to Canada, beyond the academic accomplishments. DO THIS LAST—not adjudicated and needs to be written for news release
- Researchers: Complete online in CAMS. Up to 3 candidates may be listed on the proposal when there is demonstrated need. Each will need to create a CAMS account and upload a CV. Justification for the need for the infrastructure needs to be articulated for each candidate. If you plan to have multiple applicants, please talk to the Manager, Strategic Research Programs for advice on how to proceed.
- Assessment Criteria: Use the Assessment Criteria Template and submit as Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. The number of criteria to address and the page limits for this document depend on the amount requested from the CFI in the proposal. The distribution of pages for each criterion is at the applicant’s discretion. To gain a better understanding of these criteria, consult the Common comments from reviewers.
|Total CFI request ($)||Assessment criteria to address||Maximum number of pages|
|<= $75,000||Research, researchers, infrastructure||10|
|> $75,000 to $800,000||All||15|
- Financial resources for operation and maintenance: Complete online in CAMS. The first table shows how much funding you require to operate and maintain the equipment. The second table shows how you will fund these operational needs. The table totals should be equal. You will explain how you derived these figures in the Assessment Criteria section 4: Institutional commitment and sustainability.
- Attraction and retention of leading researchers (to be completed by RSO)
- Past/current CFI investments (to be completed by RSO)
Ensure that suggested reviewers are NOT in conflict of interest. If you wish to exclude potential reviewers, please email names, titles, and affiliations of excluded reviewers to email@example.com along with a brief reason for exclusion.
Construction/Renovation quotes: A Physical Resources estimate will be required even for minor changes such as adding a power outlet. Institutions are expected to have completed planning and development work for such projects at the proposal stage. Applicants must include floor plans of the proposed area(s), showing the location of the infrastructure and the scale of the plans (when renovation involves multiple rooms). Floor plans must be provided in a pdf attachment that is clearly legible.
Physical Resources requires 8 weeks to create an estimate, so the Needs Assessment Form should be submitted to Strategic Programs 8 weeks before external deadline.
Collect vendor quotes for eligible costs. See the CFI program guide for explanation of eligible costs. See quote guidelines.
Each quote must:
Include three prices: the regular list price, the academic or best customer price, and the CFI price (only the discount above the academic price will count as an in-kind contribution), or:
If the supplier does not offer an academic or best customer price and any discount on offer applies only to the CFI, a statement must be provided to that effect.An example would be “Supplier X does not offer an Academic or Best Customer Price. The discount pricing offered is specifically related to the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) grant program.”
The cost of shipping and handling/freight must also be identified, unless the quote states that it is included in the price of the equipment.
State the currency (CAD, USD, etc)
Enter quotes into budget spreadsheet (use Excel template):
Fill in only columns B-G and V-X as indicated.
- See Cost Requirements to find current exchange rates used by Research Financial Services.
- Ensure that your budget is justified in the Assessment Criteria “Infrastructure” section. See Sample Justification.
- Research Financial Services will review your vendor quotes and spreadsheet to populate the financial module, which will result in a summary of expenses organized according to the following categories.
To create a CFI CV you can either work within the CFI CV module, or you can “transfer” information from the CCV website to the CFI CV.
To transfer from CCV to CFI CV, you will need first to create a CAMS account. Then, within your CCV, you can select “transfer” to export data. You can then cut/paste the exported data into the CFI CV. After transferring information from the CCV to the CFI CV, please review the CV module to ensure accuracy.
The CAMS system also allows you to “share” a CV, which gives another party access to view or edit your CV. See Getting Started with CAMS Section 6.3
- Complete submission in CAMS. (Validate and confirm completion)
- Submit PDF of “Project” to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with a signed OR-5.
- First click “display/print” (shown above)
- From pop-up, select Display/Print Project.
- Email OR-5 and PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by deadline (3 days before external deadline) to allow time for final administrative review.
Complete the Ontario Research Fund Research Infrastructure UGuelph Template for MCU ORF Small Infrastructure Fund. This is largely the same as the CFI JELF application, except for the Benefits to Ontario section. This section must describe a clear and compelling value for Ontario.
Learn how the JELF Award Finalization will proceed by visiting the Award Finalization page
- UG JELF Assessment Criteria Template
- UG JELF Assessment Criteria Guide
- Internal Budget Spreadsheet
- Early Set Up of Research Account
- CFI Cost Requirements (University policies related to taxes, exchange rates, construction/renovation estimates, personnel costs)
- CFI Quote Guideline
- Sample Infrastructure Justification
- Needs Assessment Form
- OR-5 Form
- Common comments from reviewers
- UGuelph CFI Change Request Form
- UGuelph Guide for MCU ORF Small Infrastructure Fund
- CFI Awards Management System (CAMS) (Online application portal)
- JELF Program Guide (Full instructions from CFI for completing JELF application)
- CFI Policy and Program Guide (Details about eligible expenditures and partners, etc.)
- MCU ORF Small Infrastructure Fund (SIF) Application and Guidelines (Full instructions from MCU for completing SIF application)
- Getting started with the CFI Awards Management System: An Overview document for researchers
P. Van Asten, Strategic Programs
Research Services Office, UC 437