Funded Projects: 2020/21
Research funded by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) through the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance solves real-world challenges and yields meaningful innovations that contribute to the success of the province’s agri-food sector and promote rural economic development throughout Ontario.
Research funding supports the University of Guelph’s critical mass of faculty, technical staff and graduate students engaged in high-quality research and training opportunities focused on the agri-food needs of Ontarians.
The Alliance provides funds for research projects that specifically support the following outcomes:
- Achieve assurance in food safety;
- Protect animal, plant and public health and the environment;
- Grow Ontario's capacity to produce food; and
- Support a globally and domestically competitive agri-food sector.
Funding for individual projects is awarded through annual, competitive programs. Review criteria vary by program but include scientific merit, innovation, contributing partners, potential benefits and best fit with established OMAFRA priorities.
This section includes projects that were approved in 2020 for the 2020/21 funding cycle for the following programs:
- Tier I research program (project operating funding)
- Tier II research program (research station access and personnel)
- Knowledge Translation and Transfer (KTT) program
- Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP) Scholarship Program
- Gryphon’s LAAIR (Leading to the Accelerated Adoption of Innovative Research) Market Validation and Product Development Grants
- Special Initiatives