Apply for Project Operating Funding
Project operating funding (Tier I)
Eligible U of G researchers interested in applying for research project operating funding may do so through the Tier I Research Program Call for Applications.
There are significant changes in the focus and administration of the 2019/20 Tier I Research Program Call for Applications. Changes include:
- New OMAFRA research priorities
- One-stage application process (Full Proposal only)
- Development and submission of applications in the Next Generation Research Management System (NG-RMS)
- New research team member invitation process
- No paper OR-5 form (all relevant information will be provided online and approvals will be completed electronically via the NG-RMS)
Please see the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance's Tier I Program Guide for complete details on the 2019/20 Call, including program changes and application instructions.
New research priorities
OMAFRA undertook a new approach to research priority setting in 2019. There are now 10 research priorities that are aligned with the Ministry's three core businesses: Protection and Assurance, Stewardship, and Economic Development. Review the document detailing the 2019-20 Alliance Research Priorities for more information.
Town hall meetings
Information sessions will take place throughout October. Town hall meetings are scheduled for the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. in UC 441
- Followed immediately by OMAFRA Discovery and Dialogue meeting for Trade, Market, Sector Growth; Productive Land Capacity priorities from 2:00-3:30 p.m. (please follow the link to pre-register)
- Friday, October 11, 2019: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. in UC 441
- Followed immediately by OMAFRA Discovery and Dialogue meeting for Animal Health & Welfare; Competitive Production Systems priorities from 10:00-11:30 a.m. (please follow the link to pre-register)
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. in Gryphon Lounge 131
- Followed immediately by OMAFRA Discovery and Dialogue meeting for Plant Health & Protection; Competitive Production Systems priorities from 2:00-3:30 p.m.(please follow the link to pre-register)
- Monday, October 21, 2019: 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. in Gryphon Lounge 131
- Followed immediately by OMAFRA Discovery and Dialogue meeting for Soil Health; Water Quality & Quantity; Sustainable Production Systems priorities from 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.(please follow the link to pre-register)
A copy of the 2019 Town Hall slide deck is also available.
The Call opened October 1, 2019.
General project information and suggested peer reviewers due November 6, 2019 as part of the new intent process (see below for more information).
Full proposals due November 26, 2019 at noon.
New Online Application System
The Alliance Research Program will use a NEW online application system called Next Generation Research Management System (NG-RMS) for receiving and adjudicating research applications.
NG-RMS is available at: https://omafra2.smartsimple.ca. If you have used RMS before, your login information has been migrated, but for security reasons passwords have not. Select “Forgot Password” on the NG-RMS login page and enter your uoguelph.ca email address. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience any difficulties logging in.
A Word version of the Full Proposal application, as well as an Excel version of the application budget, are also available for applicants to use in creating their proposals. However, this information must be entered into the fields in NG-RMS to be submitted. See 'File attachments' at the bottom of the page for the documents. Please contact email@example.com if you require these materials in an alternate format.
Single-Stage Call and Intent Process (NEW!)
There is no Letter of Intent stage in this year's Call. Applicants will only submit a Full Proposal for review and adjudication.
A mandatory intent process is being implemented as part of the new single-stage Call. The intent process requires all applicants to start an application and complete the 'General' and 'Peer Review' tabs in NG-RMS by November 6, 2019. This will help support peer review and committee planning in advance of Full Proposal submission.
Research Station Fees
Researchers proposing to use the research stations must include the appropriate Research Station Fees in their proposal budgets.
OMAFRA subsidizes 92 per cent of the applicable Research Station Fees for Tier I projects.
See our Research Station Fees Price List for more information.