Sustainable Residence Committee
About the Sustainable Residence Committee
The Sustainable Residence Committee is a collaborative initiative between the University of Guelph Sustainability Office and Student Housing Services (SHS).
The Sustainable Residence Committee will participate in collective action projects, workshops, & bi-weekly discussions, all focused on sustainability topics and pressing issues.
As part of the committee, volunteers known as Sustainable Residence Ambassadors will be playing an essential role in helping to promote sustainability in residences.
Being a Sustainable Residence Ambassador provides an opportunity for students living in residence to develop and enhance their leadership skills while actively contributing to improving campus sustainability.
- 1-hour weekly meeting, held on Teams (time and date to be determined in early January). These meetings will focus on having members learn about and contribute to various campus sustainability initiatives, including organizing a collective action project as a committee, sharing ideas for our University of Guelph Free Store, helping plan University of Guelph Sustainability Month activities for first-years, and sharing input on the University of Guelph's Waste Reduction Master Plan.
- Attending bi-weekly sustainability-focused activities (both virtual and in-person). Activities include a sustainable room décor workshop, semesterly clothing and accessories swaps, and a sustainable summer job networking night in February.
Sustainable Residence Committee in Winter 2022
The Sustainable Residence Committee will continue meeting weekly to host discussions and socials in the winter semester.
Along with meetings, there will be bi-weekly events hosted virtually on Teams. These events include a climate storytelling workshop, a textiles upcycling workshop, and an eco-emotions and climate journaling workshop.
This semester, Sustainable Residence Ambassadors will be creating Sustainable Sunday features, which will be promoted on social media and in the Sustainable Resource Guide.
Benefits of Being a Sustainable Residence Ambassador
- You'll gain a greater understanding of campus, community and global sustainability.
- You will learn to mobilize other students, staff, and faculty to address pressing issues.
- You will have plenty of opportunities to earn eligible volunteer hours for your WWF Living Planet Leader certification.
- You'll have a chance to access mentorship, resources, and support through the Sustainability Office.
- You will be the first to hear about upcoming opportunities, including our paid summer student positions.
- You'll receive recognition as a sustainability leader on campus through the Sustainable Residence Ambassador title.
- You will develop professional and personal skills that can elevate your resume.
- You'll get to expand your network, which can be beneficial for personal and professional development.
- You'll be helping foster and enhance the University of Guelph's unique sustainability culture.
- You'll be shaping the University of Guelph campus's future by contributing to action-oriented projects.
Become a Sustainable Residence Ambassador for Winter 2022
Interested in becoming a Sustainable Residence Ambassador for Winter 2022? Please email Samantha at email@example.com.
Note: This committee is intended for first-year students, students living in residence, and residence assistants.
The meeting time for this year's Sustainable Residence Committee meetings is Tuesdays from 2-3 pm. All meetings will be held virtually using Teams.
Collective Action Project: Sustainable Resource Guide
Every year, Sustainable Residence Ambassadors will work on designing and completing a collective action project as a committee as a way to leave their mark on the University of Guelph campus. This year's committee is working on designing and developing a sustainable resource guide for incoming University of Guelph students. This guide will be available for download in May 2022.