Search the Waste Wizard

How to Sort Recycling on Campus

The following page describes how to sort your campus recycling. Please note that all of this information is also available through the Waste Wizard web app embedded above. There are two main rules for sorting:

  1. Keep it clean (a quick rinse will do)
  2. Sort (Make sure it's glass, metal, paper, plastic or cartons)

Cartons are any material that consists of multiple layers, like the plastic, foil and paper of a juice box.
Examples: milk/juice cartons, juice boxes, and ice cream tubs.
But NOT disposable cups, such as coffee cups.

The glass includes bottles and jars of all colours (clear, green, blue, brown, you name it).
But NOT broken glass, window glass, lab glass, or dishware.

Metal includes all aluminum and steel packaging.
Examples: pop cans, aluminum foil, tuna tins, bean cans.
But NOT chairs, piping, shopping carts, shelves or other large, primarily metal objects. These go in the red scrap metal bins.

Paper includes writing paper, newspaper etc., including glossy magazines, flyers, and wrapping paper (non-foil).  It also includes cardboard and boxboard.  Some examples are clean pizza boxes, tubes, egg cartons, cereal boxes, bristol boards and file folders.
This does NOT include disposable cups, napkins/paper towels, dirty paper plates, muffin wrappers, waxed paper, photo paper or tissues.

Plastic includes bottles, jugs, margarine tubs, and other food containers. Plastic is coded according to resin, and if you can find 1-PET, 2-HDPE, 3-V 4-LDPE, 5-PP, 6-PS, 7-other on your container, you can place it in the recycling bin.
But Not styrofoam, shrink wrap, wrappers, bubble wrap, or bags (even if numbered).

Fine Paper Recycling

Campus community members with large quantities of paper (e.g., office clean-out or end-of-year clean-outs) can request large two-wheeled carts for their convenience. The order can be placed through Physical Resources at x53854, or by emailing

Please note, hardcover books, binders, and plastic covers cannot be placed in these bins.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous items cannot be placed in the garbage or recycling: Environmental Health and Safety coordinate pick-up of hazardous waste, including lightbulbs and batteries for on-campus departments. For more information, please contact EHS at ext.53282 or check out the EHS Website.

Student Lightbulb & Battery Collection

Students can drop off dead batteries and fluorescent lightbulbs at their closest residence's main desk. Physical Resources staff can dispose of lightbulbs and batteries at the PR Stockroom. All other staff: please contact EHS at ext.53282

Metal and Wood

Suppose you have large wood or metal items; email to arrange for your item(s) to be picked up for recycling. Do not place these items in the dumpster.

All our recycling is sent to the City of Guelph Waste Resource Innovation Centre.