Sustainable Residence Committee
University of Guelph students have always been leading change on campus, including in our residences.
After hearing interest from first-year students for sustainability programming, we've created the Sustainable Residence Committee in partnership with Residence Life to provide first-year University of Guelph students with an opportunity to lead sustainability initiatives and projects on campus.
This committee is comprised entirely of first-year university students who are either living on-or-off-campus. All weekly meetings are entirely virtual.
Our committee members will:
- Participate in weekly virtual committee meetings focused on one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These meetings will include a learning exercise portion that will feature a guest speaker or facilitated presentation on local actions connected to the week's selected goal. This is a 1-hour weekly meeting.
- Contribute to our collective action project. The project for the Fall 2020- Winter 2021 semester is a sustainability-focused resource guide for first-year students. This by the students, for the students' guide, will be published as an online pdf that will be freely available to incoming first-year students in future years. This requirement is roughly a 4-5 hour time commitment each month.
Committee members will receive:
- The opportunity to network and build community with other first-year students interested in becoming sustainability leaders on campus.
- Volunteer hours signed off by the Sustainability Office that can be applied towards the WWF Canada Living Planet Leader certificate.
- Experience in leading and managing an action-focused project.
- Recognition as a contributor to the development of the sustainable resource guide and the SDG library, a shared resource collection compiled by committee members.
How to Apply:
We're accepting applications to join the Sustainable Residence Committee on an on-going basis.
Currently, this opportunity is available to any first-year student interested in sustainability. Students do not need to be living presently in residence to be on the committee.
To apply to join the committee, please email Samantha at firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest in joining.