How to Sort on Campus

  1. Keep it Clean (a quick rinse will do)
  2. Sort (Make sure it's glass, metal, paper, plastic or cartons)

Cartons are any material that consists of multiple layers, like the plastic, foil and paper of a juice box.
Examples: milk/juice cartons, juice boxes, and ice cream tubs.
But NOT disposable cups, such as coffee cups.

Glass includes bottles and jars of all colours (clear, green, blue, brown, you name it).
But NOT broken glass, window glass, lab glass, or dishware.

Metal includes all aluminum and steel packaging.
Examples: pop cans, aluminum foil, tuna tins, bean cans.
But NOT chairs, piping, shopping carts, shelves or other large, primarily metal objects. These go in the red scrap metal bins.

Paper includes writing paper, newspaper etc. including glossy magazines, flyers, and wrapping paper (non-foil).  It also includes cardboard and boxboard.  Some examples are, clean pizza boxes, tubes, egg cartons, cereal boxes, bristol board and file folders.
This does NOT include disposable cups, napkins/paper towels, dirty paper plates, muffin wrappers, waxed paper, photo paper or tissues.

Plastic includes bottles, jugs, margarine tubs, and other food containers. Plastic is coded according to resin, and if you can find 1-PET, 2-HDPE, 3-V 4-LDPE, 5-PP, 6-PS, 7-other on your container, you can place it in the recycling bin.
But Not styrofoam, shrink wrap, wrappers, bubble-wrap, or bags (even if numbered).

Fine Paper Recycling

Campus community members with large quantities of paper (e.g., office clean-out or end-of-year clean-outs) can request large 2-wheeled carts for their convenience. The order can be placed through the Physical Resources at x53854.

Please note, hard cover books, binders, and plastic covers cannot be placed in these bins.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous items cannot be placed in the garbage or recycling. Environmental Health and Safety coordinates pick up of hazardous waste including lightbulbs and batteries for on-campus departments. For more information, please contact EHS at ext.53282 or check out the EHS Website.

Student Lightbulb & Battery Collection

Students can drop off their dead batteries and fluorescent lightbulbs at their closest residence main desk. Physical Reosurces staff can dispose of lightbulbs and batteries at the Stockroom. All other staff: please contact EHS at ext.53282

Metal and Wood

If you have large wood or metal items email to arrange for your item(s) to be picked up for recycling. Do not place these items in the dumpster.

All our recycling goes to the City of Guelph Waste Resource Innovation Centre.  

If there is still a particular item that you're unsure about, check out the City of Guelph Waste Wizard app.