Professor Emeritus and Associate Graduate Faculty in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of Guelph. Director of the Centre for Toxicology.
B.Sc., Zoology/Chemistry, Rhodes University, 1966
B.Sc. (Hons), Zoology, Rhodes University, 1967
M.Sc., Zoology, Rhodes University, 1971
M.S., Entomology, University of Illinois, 1972
Ph.D., Entomology, University of Illinois, 1973
Professor Solomon taught in areas of toxicology and pesticides at the University of Guelph and advised graduate students. He directs an active program of research into the fate and effects of pesticides and other substances in the environment, exposure of humans to pesticides and industrial chemicals, and risk assessment. He has more than 42 years of experience in research and teaching in pesticide science and toxicology and has contributed to more than 440 scientific publications and reports in the fields of pesticides, environmental toxicology, and risk assessment. To date, he has advised or co-advised eight Post-Doctoral Fellows, 41 Masters Students, and 31 Doctoral Students and has given a large number of short courses on pesticides and ecotoxicological risk assessment in Canada, Latin America, and around the world.
Stephenson, G. R., Solomon, K. R., Frank, R., Hsiung, T., & Thompson, D. G. (2007). Pesticides and the Environment (p. 427). Guelph: Canadian Network of Toxicology Centres Press.
Pesticides and the Environment has been translated into Spanish and Portuguese and is used as a teaching text at the University of Guelph and in a number of universities around the world.
- Wilson, S. R., Madronich, S., Longstreth, J. D., & Solomon, K. R. (2019). Interactive effects of changing stratospheric ozone and climate on tropospheric composition and air quality, and the consequences for human and ecosystem health. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, 18(3), 775-803.
- Solomon, K. R., Baker, D. B., Richards, R. P., Dixon, K. R., Klaine, S. J., La Point, T. W., ... & Hall, L. W. (1996). Ecological risk assessment of atrazine in North American surface waters. Environmental toxicology and Chemistry, 15(1), 31-76.
- Houde, M., Martin, J. W., Letcher, R. J., Solomon, K. R., & Muir, D. C. (2006). Biological monitoring of polyfluoroalkyl substances: a review. Environmental science & technology, 40(11), 3463-3473.
- Giesy, J. P., Dobson, S., & Solomon, K. R. (2000). Ecotoxicological risk assessment for Roundup® herbicide. In Reviews of environmental contamination and toxicology (pp. 35-120). Springer, New York, NY.
- Martin, J. W., Mabury, S. A., Solomon, K. R., & Muir, D. C. (2003). Bioconcentration and tissue distribution of perfluorinated acids in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry: An International Journal, 22(1), 196-204.
For a full list of Keith's scientific publications visit: https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=gZYc5m0AAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Global Partners Award for Capacity Building 2018. May 2018. In recognition of outstanding contribution to capacity building in environmental sciences in developing countries.
Canadian Ecotoxicology Workshop’s Outstanding Contribution to Canadian Ecotoxicology Award, 2017. October 2017.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Fellow 2014–present
The American Chemical Society 2013 Sterling B. Hendricks Memorial Lecturer sponsored by the U.S. Agricultural Research Service.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Founders Award, November 2006.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Europe Award for Environmental Education, May 2006.
American Chemical Society International Award for Research in Agrochemicals. Agrochemicals Division of the American Chemical Society, April, 2002
HERA Ecological Risk Assessment Paper of the Year 2001. Presented by the Editorial Board of HERA for the paper Solomon KR, Giesy JP, Kendall RJ, Best LB, Coats JR, Dixon KR, Hooper MJ, Kenaga EE, McMurry ST. 2001. Chlorpyrifos: ecotoxicological risk assessment for birds and mammals in corn agroecosystems. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 7:497–632.
Fellow of the Academy of Toxicological Sciences (1999–present).
Watkins Visiting Professor, Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas. February 19–22, 1996.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) North America Award for Environmental Education. November 1993.