Resources for Students
Need help to cope, quit or be there for a friend? As a student, you can access a number of supports to help you quit smoking.
- Talk to a physician about your interest in quitting smoking
- Access free nicotine replacement therapy (e.g., gum, patches) by discussing your options with a physician at Student Health Services
- Watch for Student Wellness’s yearly stop-smoking contest
- Smoking cessation resources are available on campus from Student Wellness Services in the J.T. Powell Building (including nicotine replacement therapy).
- STOP on the Road – The STOP program delivers research-based, cost-free smoking cessation workshops in local communities. Eligible participants will attend an educational session and receive a five-week course of nicotine patches.
- Peer Support Group – If you are interested in speaking with U of G community members and a tobacco-cessation specialist about challenges and successes on the road to becoming smoke-free, email email@example.com.
- Tips for helping a friend or colleague quit smoking
- If you are 18 or older, get up to a year of pharmacist-assisted counselling and access to free smoking cessation medications like Champix and Zyban through OHIP+
- Leave the Pack Behind: Web resource with research-based information and links to resources
- BreakItOff.ca: Canadian Cancer Society
- Talk to a pharmacist for services and counselling
- Download the Crush the Crave free mobile app
- Smokers' Helpline: free personalized tools to help you quit, including support over the phone, online or via text message
- Cancer Care Ontario Aboriginal Tobacco Program
- Pregnets: Helping pregnant and post-partum women quit or reduce smoking
- Stop Smoking Clinic: Guelph Family Healthy Team
- Quit Smoking Now: Government of Canada smoking cessation guides and plans
- Nicotine Anonymous Group 12 Step Meeting- Every Monday evening at 7:30pm at Homewood Health Centre Colonial Building, Room 310.
For additional wellness resources related to your mental and physical health, visit the Student Wellness resources page.