Please note MSF is closed until July 6th 2020 when limited service will become available. Please see detailed MSFCovid-19 Operations.
- The MSF lab will be locked at all times. Lab access has been revoked for all users.
- For sample submission contact email@example.com, send submission form with billing code and approval and any analysis details by email.
- Drop samples in dropbox on cart outside the west hallway to MSF. MAKE SURE THEY ARE LEGIBLY LABELLED. Notify of drop off by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wait for a confirmation email from Armen that samples have been received.
- Results and/or raw data will be emailed to you.
- Any consultation will take place by email to email@example.com or arranged video conference.
- Please be patient as we expect longer turnover times.
The Mass Spectrometry Facility provides mass spectrometry analysis to researchers, and assists in the development and analysis of mass spectrometry experiments.
PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU SUBMIT...
- Success of the analysis depends on your sample preparation
- Fees are charged per sample submitted, regardless of data quality. How to get the most out of your mass spectrometry analysis.
- Salts, detergents, non-volatile buffers can interfere with ionization. If you have those things in your sample, you may need to desalt. Otherwise, you may not see your analyte in the spectrum. Learn more about buffers
- We need to know the concentration of your sample in MOLES. For proteins: number of base pairs, codons, and grams/mL are not helpful.
- Small compounds ionize BETTER than large compounds. If you have a mixture of small and large compounds, the small may suppress the ionization of the large. You may need a higher concentration of high MW sample than small MW sample for good signal
- Peak height does not equal Quantity. The height of a peak on a spectrum is actually related to the ionization ability of the compound which gave rise to the peak. The better the ionization, the more intense the peak.
Services and prices apply to University of Guelph clients only. Any external clients should contact Dr. Dyanne Brewer for more information.