KTT: Getting Science Off The Shelf
Knowledge Translation and Transfer (KTT) encompasses a suite of activities used to foster two-way communication between researchers and research users. The Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance defines KTT as the transformation of knowledge into use through synthesis, exchange, dissemination, dialogue, collaboration and brokering among researchers and research users.
The goal of KTT is to enhance the impact of research by getting ‘science off the shelf’ and into the hands of people who need it. KTT builds on a long history of agricultural extension and works to foster early and consistent collaboration between researchers and research users.
KTT Funding Program accelerates the process
The Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance administers a KTT funding program to advance research in the field of KTT and to accelerate the transfer of research knowledge into use. The program aims to:
- Advance the synthesis, exchange, application and dissemination of research knowledge about agriculture, food and rural sectors to relevant knowledge-users.
- Explore the science of KTT to identify best practices that enhance the positive impact of research and innovation.
- Use and evaluate KTT methods and best practices to support the awareness and impact of research knowledge.
- Must fit within one of two streams:
- KTT Research Funding: projects that advance the science of knowledge translation and transfer in agri-food and rural sectors.
- KTT Mobilization Funding: outreach and/or engagement activities that connect end-users with existing research.
- All projects, regardless of stream, must fall within established OMAFRA research themes and support Ontario's agri-food and/or rural sectors.
For more information see our Program Guide.
KTT Mobilization Initiatives
KTT Mobilization Initiatives provide one time financial support of up to $5,000 for a product that translates and transfers research that benefits Ontario’s agri-food sector or rural communities. Proposed initiatives must be completed within a year of award. Learn more about KTT Mobilization Initiatives.
KTT Mobilization Initiative Grant applications are accepted on a rolling basis (until funds are exhausted). First assessments will take place on April 3, 2019.
The call for Research and Mobilization stream applications is now closed. Full Proposal applications were due on January 17, 2019 at 12:00pm (noon).