KTT: Getting Science Off The Shelf
Knowledge Translation and Transfer (KTT) encompasses a suite of activities used to foster two-way communication between researchers and research users. The Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance defines KTT as the transformation of knowledge into use through synthesis, exchange, dissemination, dialogue, collaboration and brokering among researchers and research users.
The goal of KTT is to enhance the impact of research by getting ‘science off the shelf’ and into the hands of people who need it. KTT builds on a long history of agricultural extension and works to foster early and consistent collaboration between researchers and research users.
KTT Funding Program accelerates the process
The Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance administers a KTT funding program to advance research in the field of KTT and to accelerate the transfer of research knowledge into use. The program aims to:
- Advance the synthesis, exchange, application and dissemination of research knowledge about agriculture, food and rural sectors to relevant knowledge-users.
- Explore the science of KTT to identify best practices that enhance the positive impact of research and innovation.
- Use and evaluate KTT methods and best practices to support the awareness and impact of research knowledge.
- Must fit within one of two streams:
- KTT Research Funding: projects that advance the science of knowledge translation and transfer in agri-food and rural sectors.
- KTT Mobilization Funding: outreach and/or engagement activities that connect end-users with existing research.
- All projects, regardless of stream, must relate to an established OMAFRA research priority and support Ontario's agri-food and/or rual sectors. Further information about research priorities is available in OMAFRA Priorities for the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance Funding Program, 2019-2020.
Call Status: Closed
The Call for Research and Mobilization stream proposals opened October 30, 2019 and closed December 18, 2019. Submitted applications are currently under review.
Online Application System
The Alliance will use a NEW online application system called Next Generation Research Management System (NG-RMS) for receiving and adjudicating Research and Mobilization applications.
Deatils on using NG-RMS are available in the KTT Funding Program Guide, 2019-2020.
Town Hall Information Sessions
Interested applicants are invited to attend a town hall information session profiling the KTT and Gryphon's LAAIR funding programs. Town halls will take place on:
Tuesday, November 19, 2019 | 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | UC 334
Friday, November 22, 2019 | 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | UC 334
KTT Mobilization Initiatives
KTT Mobilization Initiatives provide one time financial support of up to $5,000 for a product that translates and transfers research that benefits Ontario’s agri-food sector or rural communities. Proposed initiatives must be completed within a year of award. Learn more about KTT Mobilization Initiatives.