- Pre-dry aluminum dishes (105C, 1 h) and weigh to the nearest 0.1 mg on an analytical balance.
- Weigh quickly 3-5 g of fragmented cheese into the aluminum dish. The weight of sample is the total weight minus the weight of the dish from Step 1.
- Dry to constant weight (about 16 h) at 105C. To check for constant weight: weigh at least two samples, return both samples to the oven for an additional 20 minutes, and re-weigh. The difference between the weights before and after the additional drying period should be less than 1 mg.
- Cool in desiccator and determine total dry weight. Sample dry weight is the total dry weight less the weight of the dish determined in Step 1.
- Report total solids and moisture contents on weight percent basis as follows:
Note: Several rapid moisture tests based on infrared or microwave drying are available. Check with your laboratory equipment supplier.
Accurate cheese moisture analysis is critical to composition and yield control. Rapid moisture tests (e.g., microwave moisture oven) can be used to obtain early feed back (e.g., cheese moisture immediately after pressing) information to help with process control.