Senate | Meeting Synopsis | October 16, 2017
The first Senate meeting of the 2017-18 session was held on October 16, 2017, and was chaired by President Franco Vaccarino.
University Secretary Gen Gauthier-Chalifour commenced the meeting with a territorial land acknowledgment, and provided a brief orientation for new and returning Senators.
The President offered oral remarks including a welcome to Chancellor Martha Billes, who was in attendance at the first Senate meeting since her installation in June. He also highlighted the University administration’s focus for the 2017-18 academic year including an emphasis on partnerships, internationalization, and telling the U of G story.
Provost and VP (Academic) Charlotte Yates provided a presentation on academic priorities and plans for 2017-18. She highlighted external imperatives framing the academic priorities and plans, including the Strategic Mandate Agreement (2017-20), building a safe and inclusive campus in challenging times, and building U of G’s international reputation and relevance. She also highlighted various initiatives for improving campus experience and inspiring excellence, including teaching and research excellence, experiential learning and the Career Ready Fund, and improved IT infrastructure. The Provost’s full presentation can be found online, at the end of the Senate meeting package.
Other items of business at the meeting included:
- A report from Student Senate Caucus co-chairs Lindsey Fletcher and Nick Manuel
- Approval of a new major in Food Industry Management, in the Bachelor of Bio-Resource Management Program
- Approval of changes to admission and degree requirements for the Master of Biotechnology program
- Approval of changes to the MA and PhD programs in Political Science
- Approval of the Senate-elected members of the Presidential Review Committee
- Presentation of the 2016-17 Annual Report on Quality Assurance
- Presentation of the 2018-19 Academic Schedule of Dates
- Items presented for information, including: topics to be addressed at Senate in 2017-18, update from the COU Academic Colleague, undergraduate curriculum changes, graduate curriculum changes, 2017-18 Senate subcommittees membership, graduate faculty appointments, and results of fall by-elections
The Call for Nominations for University Awards was also provided.
The complete meeting agenda package is available on the University Secretariat website and includes detailed information on the items listed above.
The next Senate meeting will be held on November 27, 2017, in the OVC Lifetime Learning Centre Room 1714. Meetings are open to the public and visitors who wish to attend should contact the University Secretariat at email@example.com