Senate Meeting Synopsis for June 3, 2019
University of Guelph Senate – Meeting Synopsis
June 3, 2019
The fifth Senate meeting of the 2018-19 session was held on June 3, 2019 and was chaired by President Franco Vaccarino.
Jonathan Newman, Dean of the College of Biological Science and COU Academic Colleague, commenced the meeting with a territorial land acknowledgment.
The President offered oral remarks to supplement the Kudos Report acknowledging important and notable accomplishments of the University, its faculty, and students. The President also announced the creation of the pan-university One Health Institute which considers the intersection of animal, human and environmental health with the mandate to enhance academic research and outreach programs and will propel the University to the forefront of One Health internationally.
The Provost provided a presentation and update on the university budget plan for 2019-20, as well as preliminary plans for Strategic Mandate Agreement 3 and the shift to performance-based funding.
The Associate Vice-President (Academic) provided a presentation an update on plans for common questions for teaching and course evaluations, and received feedback from Senators.
Key Business Items and Approvals
Other key items of business at the meeting included:
- Approval of the COU Academic Colleague and Alternate.
- Approval of a new major (with co-op option), and minor in Sport and Event Management in the Bachelor of Commerce program.
- Approval of five new minors to be offered by the Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics: Business Data Analytics, Entrepreneurship, International Business, Project Management, and Sustainable Business.
- Approval of a new field in Public Health for the Master of Science (MSc) program in Population Medicine.
- Approval of a new Master of Conservation Leadership program.
- Approval of changes to the degree regulations and procedures on dropping courses for undergraduate, graduate and diploma programs, effective Fall 2019.
- Approval of a new Policy on Academic Continuity, and related Procedures.
- Announcement of student medal winners for the Summer 2019 convocation ceremonies.
The complete meeting agenda package is available on the University Secretariat website and includes detailed information on the items listed above. The official record of the meeting are the meeting minutes, which will be available following their approval the next regularly scheduled Senate meeting.
2019-20 Senate Meetings
The 2019-20 Senate meeting dates are as follows:
- Monday, October 7, 2019
- Monday, November 25, 2019
- Monday, February 3, 2020
- Monday, March 30, 2020
- Monday, June 1, 2020
Meetings are open to the public and visitors who wish to attend should contact the University Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org