Provost & Vice-President (Academic) Selection Committee
Dr. Charlotte Yates was appointed Provost and Vice-President (Academic) of the University of Guelph in August 2015. Dr. Yates was appointed President and Vice-Chancellor for an interim two-year term beginning August 2, 2020. In order to ensure continuity in university leadership, Dr. Yates has made the decision not to return to her former role as Provost and Vice-President (Academic).
In keeping with the University Appointments Policy, the process for establishing a Provost Search Committee will commence to ensure the timely appointment of a successor.
This serves as a Call for Nominations for appointment to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) Selection Committee. Members of the University community are invited to help identify faculty, staff and students who may be interested and suitable for membership. Nominations are now being accepted by the University Secretariat.
Membership of the Selection Committee
The composition and membership of the selection committee is outlined in the University Appointments Policy. The selection committee is chaired by the President and Vice-Chancellor, and shall consist of:
- Two (2) Deans, appointed by the President
- One (1) external member of the Board of Governors, appointed by the Governance & Human Resources Committee
- Three (3) tenured faculty members, elected by Senate
- One (1) undergraduate student, elected by Senate
- One (1) graduate student, elected by Senate
- Two (2) regular full-time staff members, elected by Senate
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Equity-seeking groups within our community experience barriers to full participation. It is imperative that equity and inclusion be embedded throughout our decision-making processes. As such, membership of the committee shall reflect diversity as per the Modus Operandi, including equity-seeking groups and others who contribute to the diversity of the committee.
Composition of the Slate
Upon conclusion of the nomination period, the Senate Committee on Bylaws and Membership will compose a slate using the Senate-approved Modus Operandi. In doing so, the Committee on Bylaws & Membership will give particular attention to the following factors:
- Diversity of membership consistent with the University’s equity policies (this includes but is not limited to the University’s Inclusion Framework, Employment Equity Goals, and Human Rights Policy and Procedures), ensuring that the committee includes representation from equity-seeking groups.
- Evidence of commitment to the mandate of the committee in question
- Evidence of an ability to work in a consensus-based-decision-making environment
- Representation from across the University.
Submitting a Nomination
The nomination form must be completed and submitted to the University Secretariat via email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with an explanation as to the suitability of the candidate for this task, with particular attention to the factors identified above.
Nomination period extended and are now due Friday, September 25, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. (noon).
In accordance with the University Appointments Policy and Modus Operandi, the following eligibility criteria shall be observed:
- Nominees do not need to be Senators.
- Committee candidates who are faculty must hold tenure, and may come from Guelph-Humber. While multiple nominations may come from a single College, no two faculty members elected to the Committee may come from the same College.
- Committee candidates who are staff must be regular full-time employees.
- Committee candidates who are students who are anticipated to retain their student status until the Review Committee completes its function will be given preference in preparing the slate of candidates for recommendation to Senate.
- Faculty must be nominated by faculty; staff must be nominated by staff; students must be nominated by students.
In accordance with related Senate regulations, nominations will also be accepted from the floor of Senate.