Transfer Students

Transfer Students

Welcome to the Bachelor of Arts at the University of Guelph! Although you are not new to post-secondary education, it is likely that you will have questions. Below is a list of the most frequently asked.

On my offer of admission, some credits have a course code that matches one in the undergraduate calendar, while others just say free elective. What does that mean?

Transfer credits will fall into one of three categories:

Exact Equivalent:

  • Transfer credits that appear with a course code and name that can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar are courses that you have been granted exact credit. For example: If PSYC *1000 Introductory to Psychology appears on your letter, then a course that you took at your previous institution covered the same material as this course. The course will count towards your degree, program and prerequisite requirements.

Same Topic Generic:

  • Transfer credits for which the University of Guelph has a comparable subject area, but not an exact course equivalent will appear as follows: PSYC*9110 Generic Equivalent
  • The subject area is Psychology, the first digit, '9' means the credit is generic, the second digit indicates the year level at which the course was taken (1-first year, 2-second year etc.) and the remaining two digits indicate that it is a transfer credit.


  • Transfer credits for which the University of Guelph does not offer courses in that specific subject area, FREE*9110 Free Elective

If you have been assigned a Same Topic Generic or Generic credit for a previous course that you believe has an exact Guelph equivalent you can have your course evaluated by a faculty member. Take the detailed course description from your previous course to the Department that offers the course and let them know which specific Guelph credit (course code and name) you believe you have completed.

If the course is deemed equivalent by the department, please ask them to contact Admission Services to revise your transfer credit assessment. Please note that the department may not grant your request if it is determined that the content is not sufficiently equivalent.

You only need to complete this process for courses specified as required and restricted electives in your major. Liberal Education and Free electives can remain as generic credits.

How do my transfer credits fit into my new program?

Transfer credits become part of your completed course work. How they fit into your new program will depend on the type of credit you have been given. Look at the Schedule of Studies for your major in the Undergraduate Calendar. Compare those courses to the transfer credits on your Letter of Admission. If the transfer credit is exactly the same course code, then you have met that requirement. If there is not an exact equivalent the course may then count as an elective.

In some cases, a course for which there is no exact equivalent may be able to count as a restricted elective or substitution. If you feel that may be a possibility consult the Faculty Advisor for your major.

Where do I find a list of my required courses?

You can find the required courses for your major in the BA section of the Undergraduate Calendar . The Schedule of Studies that you are required to follow is determined by when you were admitted. If you are beginning your studies at the University of Guelph in September of 2019, you will be required to follow the Schedule of Studies for the 2019-2020 Undergraduate Calendar. Additional details can be found by visiting our Academic Advising site and click on Course Selection under Current Student

The course codes listed in the Schedule of Studies are linked to the calendar description. The course description will tell you which semester a course is offered in S=Summer, F=Fall, W=Winter; the credit weight of the course (usually [0.50]); provide a brief description of the course and list any prerequisites or restrictions for the course.

How long will it take me to graduate?

In order to graduate with a University of Guelph Honours BA Degree students are required to complete a minimum of 20 credits, including required courses for the major and free electives. As transfer credits are included in your total credits earned, you may need to complete more than 20 credits to satisfy your degree requirements. How long it will take to graduate will therefore depend on the number and type of transfer credits granted.

How do I pick my courses?

Students pick their courses via WebAdvisor. WebAdvisor allows students to drop and add courses, look at their schedule, obtain final grades and unofficial transcripts. Additional details can be found by visiting our Academic Advising site and click on Course Selection under Current Students.

When do I pick my courses?

Once you have accepted your Offer of Admission you will be contacted by Enrolment Services with details on the course selection process. If you have been admitted for the Fall semester, new student registration typically takes place beginning to late June and continues to early September. It is best to choose your courses as early as possible as courses do fill up. You will be choosing only your Fall courses at this time; course selection for the Winter semester takes place in November.

Where do I find information on dates, fees, regulations etc.?

The Undergraduate Calendar is a comprehensive on-line publication that contains all this information and more. It is a good starting point if you are looking for information. Each administrative and academic department on campus has a webpage that can be accessed by starting at the main University of Guelph page.


Where can I get more supports at U of G as a transfer student?

Please see our Student Experience Transfer Student resources supports.