To learn more about the instrumentation at the Bioproducts Discovery and Development Centre: · https://www.bioproductscentre.com/research/facilitiesEquipment · https://www.bioproductscentre.com/research/facilitiesEquipment/characterization
The Bioproducts Discovery and Development Centre is equipped for material processing (polymer and composite compounding, injection and compression moulding, film casting and blowing) and for characterization (mechanical, thermal rheological properties, as well as the flammability of materials). Other capacity includes additive manufacturing (powder 3D-printing and fused deposition modelling) and ultra-high temperature reactors.
Education and Employment Background
Dr. Amar Mohanty is currently a Full Professor (in two Departments – Dept. of Agriculture & School of Engineering) and a Distinguished Research Chair in Sustainable Biomaterials at the Ontario Agriculture College (OAC) and serves as the Director of the Bioproducts Discovery and Development Centre at the University of Guelph, Canada.
Prior to his move to Canada, he worked as a professor (tenured) at Michigan State University, USA. Being, recruited through an international search, he took up the prestigious Premier’s Research Chair in Biomaterials and Transportation position in 2008 at the University of Guelph. Prof. Mohanty received his PhD in Chemistry at Utkal University of Bhubaneswar, India in 1987.
Prof. Mohanty is also a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Society of Plastic Engineers (SPE), Royal Society of Canada and Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, and. He is the Editor-in-Chief in the Sustainable Composites of Composites Part C: Open Access - an ELSEVIER journal.
Prof. Mohanty has contributed to more than 800 publications, including 437 peer-reviewed journal papers, 70 patents (awarded/applied), 5 edited books, 21 book chapters, 300+ conference papers and over 150 plenary and keynote presentation. His current research focuses on the following major areas:
- Light-weight and sustainable electric vehicle parts
- Sustainable Polymer Science and Engineering
- Biodegradable plastics for single-use plastic alternatives
- Sustainable Polymers and biobased composites
- Advanced flameproof sustainable composites for battery enclosures
- Upcycling of plastics
- Circular economy, environmental sustainability, waste plastic valorization
- Biocarbon based composites for light-weight auto-parts and high barrier packaging
- Advanced biocarbon, biographite and graphene synthesis for industrial uses
- Additive manufacturing and 3D printing of sustainable materials
For a full list of publications visit my Bioproducts Discovery and Development Centre publication list
- Miroslaw Romanowski Medal from the Royal Society of Canada, 2021
- JL White Innovation Award from the Polymer Processing Society
- Synergy Award for Innovation from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Canada
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the BioEnvironmental Polymer Society (BEPS), USA
- Andrew Chase Forest Products Division Award from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, USA