Graduate Program Funding
The Food Science Department Academic Programs Assistant, Tricia Townsend, provides support for graduate student funding.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)
MSc (thesis) and PhD Food Science students are provided with a guaranteed Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) as part of their funding. Graduate Students must apply to the posted GTA appointments to be considered.
The Food Science Department Selection Committee will review applications and provide offers according to the agreement with CUPE 3913, Unit 1.
Guidelines for Selection of Graduate Teaching Assistants -
- The Academic Program Assistant, on the advice of the Department Chair, will post teaching assistant positions, compile applications, prepare a summary table of applicants and their course preferences.
- The TA selection committee shall normally consist of at least four members: (1) the Undergraduate Advisor or Coop Advisor; (2) The Department Academic Program Assistant; (3) A Graduate Student Representative; (4) The Graduate Coordinator; and (5) the Department Chair. The selection committee will be chaired by the Department Chair or his/her designate.
- As prescribed in Article XI Section 11.04 (d) of the Collective Agreement between the University of Guelph and the Canadian Union of Public Employees and its Local 3913 (Unit #1) “Levels of consideration for work assignments will be as follows:”
(1) candidates who are applying for positions within their home Department and are still within their Job Security Period (as defined in 1.04(n)) will be considered first; and then,
(2) candidates who have completed their Job Security Period and who are still within their prescribed program will be considered next. Prescribed program can be defined as the number of semesters that the University has deemed standard for the program of study; and then,
(3) candidates who have exceeded the prescribed program period for their program of study will be considered; and then,
(4) candidates in any level, applying for work in their home Department, who have already been assigned to a work assignment(s) in their home Department totalling 140 hours per semester and who are no longer within their Job Security Period. Once a candidate has been assigned a 1.0 work assignment under this level of consideration that candidate will have to wait to be considered for additional work assignments until other applicants in this level of consideration have also been assigned to a 1.0 work assignment. 11.04(d)(4) only applies where a candidate is applying for work assignment(s) in their home department.
(5) candidates applying to additional work assignment(s) outside their home department will be considered for work assignments(s) in those department(s) as per levels (2) and (3) of consideration above.
- Selections will be made in accordance with Article XI Section 11.04 (c) of the CUPE 3919 Unit #1 Collective Agreement:
In all cases of job competition, the University’s selection criteria shall only include: qualifications (academic and professional), competence, capability, skill and ability, and prior relevant experience. In cases where applicants are demonstrably equal in the opinion of the University, the senior applicant shall be awarded the work assignment.
Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA)
MSc (thesis) and PhD Food Science students may receive a stipend through faculty research grants. This is Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) is detailed on the offer of admission.
Required Payroll Information
Both the GTA and GRA will be paid through payroll, which will require the Employment Information Form. This form must be completed and submitted to the Academic Programs Assistant, Tricia Townsend.
All students can view and change their banking and personal contact information using the Human Resources Employee Self-Service portal. Through this portal you have access to make changes to your address and banking information. You are also able to access your electronic pay statement.
If you use the portal to change your banking information, you will receive a notification indicating on which pay date the new information will take effect. Should you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 53374.
Paid Parental Leave Fund (PPL)
Applications can be made by full-time doctoral students whose guaranteed stipend is suspended while on an approved Leave of Absence (LOA) from their graduate program for the birth or adoption of a child.
Paid Parental Leave (PPL) Application Form
Prospective students are encouraged to search the University of Guelph Graduate Award database and the Office of Graduate & Post-Doctoral Studies website for information about the range of scholarships available.
Stipends and scholarships do not include tuition. Students are responsible for all tuition and associated fees, which must be paid in full at the start of each semester or via payroll deduction. See Student Financial Services for current tuition rates and instructions on payment.