Frequently Asked Questions



I have a family member who is not a U of Guelph student but would also like to improve his or her language skills. Where can I find help?

The St. George's Centre in downtown Guelph provides free English-language programs for Canadian citizens, permanent residents, convention refugees, and refugee claimants. Temporary residents and visitors can also attend for a small fee. Use the St. George's Centre website link for more information.

University of Guelph: The Centre for Open Learning and Educational Support offers the English Language Certificate Program for individuals interested in entering the University of Guelph undergraduate or graduate programs to gain English Proficiency or improve their English Language skills. Visit, English Language Programs website for more details

I'm having trouble managing my workload and keeping up with all my schoolwork. Is there somewhere I can get help with time management and focus?

Use the Learning Services website link to book an appointment, attend a workshop, or find online modules and handouts.

Do Guelph students going abroad need to do a pre-departure orientation or other preparation?

 All students (graduate and undergraduate) participating in activties outside of Canada associated with the University of Guelph must complete DepartSmart, our on-line predeparture orientation program.  These activities include:

  • field trips
  • Research projects
  • Exchange programs
  • Semesters abroad
  • Letters of Permission
  • Practica
  • Internships
  • Coop placements
  • Scholarly Conferences
  • Organized sport competitions or other extracurricular activities

We want our students to be prepared and travel safely. DepartSmart provides you with important information about health insurance, what to do in an emergency and a plethora of valuable travel tips. Register today. 

Do I need to purchase travel insurance

Students are required to purchase comprehensive travel health insurance through Guard Me Insurance portal if they are travelling as part of an official study abroad program. We also strongly recommend this insurance if you are travelling for other activities.

Faculty and staff are covered to a certain extent by the University's Sun Life coverage but you may wish to look at Guard Me coverage as well as it includes items such as third party liability and security evacuation (in case of natural disaster, political unrest, terrorism) not covered in the Sun Life policy. 

Guard Me Insurance can be purchased through the Guelph-Guard Me portal.

How can I apply for Study Abroad?

Visit the Centre for International Programs page to get started in planning your study abroad.

How can I be a recruitment agent for the University?

The University of Guelph does not use recruitment agents for graduate program recruitment. For recruiting for Undergraduate Admissions (International) please follow the instructions on the  International Agents website.  

If you wish to inquire about recruiting for our English Language Programs, please review the information for Education Agencies

How do I get a visa to study in Canada or renew my current student visa.

Actually, in Canada we call it a "study permit" not a student visa. Details on getting or renewing a study permit can be found on the International Student Experience website.

How do I get help with English?

There are a number of services depending on the kind of help you need. Check out the English Language support for students page to get all the details.

How do I make a tuition payment?

You can get all the details for paying your tuition by visiting Student Financial Services.

How do international students apply for graduate school (Masters and PhD)?

The Graduate Studies Office provides information on how to apply to Guelph to become a graduate student (Masters or PhD). You must have completed a first degree (bachelors degree) before you can apply to be a graduate student.

I have a contact at another University and they'd like to start a student exchange, what should I do next?

 All student exchange agreements are set up by the Centre for Internaitonal Programs according to a process approved by the University's Senate. Contact the Study Abroad Manager, Lisa Blenkinsop  or  call  519-824-4120 extension 56383 to get more information.

I have a delegation who would like to visit Guelph to see the facilities and discuss possible collaboration, whom should I contact?

 Guelph does not have a central office to organize visitors. The first step, however, is to have the organizer complete the Visiting International Delegation Request Form .  Be ready to demonstrate your goals and objectives for the visit and ensure the request is made at least six weeks in advance. If your visitors wish to have an unofficial visit and they do not require arrangements other than some time with you and your department, feel free to organize the visit yourself and contact the International Liaison Officer if you have any questions or problems.

I have a graduate student from another country who wants to come here to do research toward her thesis at home but not register in courses. Is that possible?

 Yes, but there are several things to consider:

  1.  Are you willing and able to supervise this person on top of other responsibilities you currently have. Remember they are coming a long way and spending a lot of money to visit, don't say yes lightly.
  2. For all kinds of reasons the visitor will need some sort of status at the University and not just come as a tourist. 
  3. Since this visitor will not be a registered student he/she will not have access to things like student residence, the bus pass, the athletic centre and other student benefits.
  4. The visitor must have comprehensive health insurance coverage and it's highly recommended that he/she be required to purchase the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). Contact HR or the International Student Advisor for details.


I need a little help with my academic writing, what should I do?

 Visit Writing Resources & Workshops in the Library to book an appointment, attend a workshop, or find online referencing guides.

I want to be a Veterinarian, can I apply if I'm not Canadian?

 Yes, there are a certain number of spaces reserved for non-Canadian applicants to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program each year. Visit the OVC Recruitment website for more information.

I want to take a group of students on an international field trip, what do I need to know?

First you'll need to clear the idea with your Department Chair and ensure there are sufficuent funds to support the trip. Next contact the Study Abroad Manager, Lisa Blenkinsop, to get info on emergency contact forms, registering your trip itinerary and other services provided by CIP.

The University has a Safe International Travel Policy you'll need to look at to determine if the location you are considering is appropriate. Also, consult the Global Affairs Canada (formally DFAIT) for travel information and advisories.

Note that all students travelling on a University of Guelph activity outside Canada will need to complete DepartSmart, our on-line predeparture orientation

I'm a University of Guelph faculty member and I'd like to know more about international research opportunities.

 The Office of Research's international research page is definitely your first stop.

I'm an international alumnus and I'd like to stay connected with Guelph, what do I do?

Thanks,  we'd love to keep in touch! Visit the alumni connection website and give us some information.  Also, go to our 'Get Involved' webpage to find out all the ways we can keep you up-to-date.

I'm thinking of applying to Guelph and I'd like to know what exchange programs I'd be able to go on if I were a Guelph student.

 Exchange? Great. We have programs for every discipline Guelph offers and we are adding programs all the time. Check out the Centre for International Programs searchable database to find out what your options are.

I've been asked to participate in an international research project by a colleague at another University, what do I do next?

 Check out the Office of Research, international research page for details of procedures, policies and next steps. 

My graduate student wants to do research in a country that might be unsafe, how do I determine if he should go?

 The University of Guelph has a safe international travel policy which will tell you how we determine appropriate destinations for student travel. If you have any questions feel free to contact the Director of the Centre for International Programs, Lynne Mitchell.

We are looking to work with Guelph on a research project, how do we locate a researcher with the expertise we need?

 The best place to start is the Office of Research "people" page where you can find a variety of listings of research personnel.

Where can I go on exchange?

Go to the searchable database on the Centre for International Programs' website to search for exchange programs by destination and discipline.