Current Student


Do Guelph students going abroad need to do a pre-departure orientation or other preparation?

 All students (graduate and undergraduate) participating in activties outside of Canada associated with the University of Guelph must complete DepartSmart, our on-line predeparture orientation program.  These activities include:

  • field trips
  • Research projects
  • Exchange programs
  • Semesters abroad
  • Letters of Permission
  • Practica
  • Internships
  • Coop placements
  • Scholarly Conferences
  • Organized sport competitions or other extracurricular activities

We want our students to be prepared and travel safely. DepartSmart provides you with important information about health insurance, what to do in an emergency and a plethora of valuable travel tips. Register today. 

Do I need to purchase travel insurance

Students are required to purchase comprehensive travel health insurance through Guard Me Insurance portal if they are travelling as part of an official study abroad program. We also strongly recommend this insurance if you are travelling for other activities.

Faculty and staff are covered to a certain extent by the University's Sun Life coverage but you may wish to look at Guard Me coverage as well as it includes items such as third party liability and security evacuation (in case of natural disaster, political unrest, terrorism) not covered in the Sun Life policy. 

Guard Me Insurance can be purchased through the Guelph-Guard Me portal.

How can I apply for Study Abroad?

Visit the Centre for International Programs page to get started in planning your study abroad.

Where can I go on exchange?

Go to the searchable database on the Centre for International Programs' website to search for exchange programs by destination and discipline.