I am currently a Lecturer in the School of Hospitality, Food and Tourism Management, University of Guelph. Before joining the University of Guelph, I worked as a consultant for the China Academy of Urban Planning & Design, where I conducted tourist behaviour studies, tourism experience design, market analysis, and strategic research for municipal and regional tourism planning projects. Additionally, I worked in three departments at the Hotel Nikko New Century Beijing: Food and Beverage, Finance and Accounting, and Marketing.
I have substantial experience in conducting research using cutting-edge technology in a research lab setting. For example, during my PhD, I designed and led a research project using eye-tracking. By using this leading-edge technology, our research team provided insights into consumers’ visual behaviours and marketing implications. My team was awarded Best Graduate Colloquium Paper and Best Visual Presentation at Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA) International 2018 for 2 different papers based on this research.
My research has been published in highly ranked academic journals, such as Tourism Management, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, and Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research. Additionally, I have written five book chapters covering various tourism and hospitality research topics and have presented over 25 research papers at tourism and hospitality conferences.
- Tourism experience design
- Technology applications in hospitality and tourism
- Experiential marketing
- Destination management and marketing
Ph.D., University of Guelph, June 2020
• Advisor: Dr. Marion Joppe
M.Sc., Peking University, July 2013
• GPA: 90.5/100 Ranking: 1 out of 51
• Advisors: Dr. Bihu Wu and Dr. Alastair M. Morrison
B.Mgmt., Southeast University, June 2010
• GPA: 88.7/100 Ranking: 1 out of 47
• Advisor: Dr. Xuecai Yu
Exchange Student, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2009
Hotel and Tourism Management
Certificates, Awards and Honours
• Graduate Certificate in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, University of Guelph (2018)
• Reviewer Recognition Certificate, The International Journal of Tourism Cities (2018)
• DMO Travel and Tourism Research 100 Course Certificate of Completion, TTRA International (2018)
• Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics, American Hotel & Lodging Association (2017)
• Eye-Tracking Certificate of Completion, Tobii Pro (2017)
• Ontario Trillium Scholarship, Government of Ontario, Canada, $160,000 (2014 – 2018)
• PhD Scholarship, University of Guelph, $28,000 (2014 – 2018)
• General Graduate Studies Fund (SSHRC), Canada, $2,000 (2018)
• National Scholarship, Ministry of Education of China, $4,000 (2012)
• Kwang-Hua Scholarship, Peking University, $1,000 (2011)
• National Scholarship, Ministry of Education of China, $4,000 (2009)
• National Encouragement Scholarship, Ministry of Education of China, $2,000 (2007)
• Best Visual Paper, TTRA International Conference (2018)
• Best Graduate Colloquium Paper, TTRA International Conference (2018)
• First Place in the 3-Minute Thesis Competition, College of Business and Economics, University of Guelph (2018)
• Graduated with Honours, Peking University (2013)
• Outstanding Student Award, Peking University (2011)
• Graduated with Honours, Southeast University (2010)
• Third Prize in the Tourism Development and Heritage Protection Proposal Competition, Zhangjiajie Tourism Bureau, Hunan Province, China (2008)
• Outstanding Student Award, Southeast University (2007)
- Journal Articles -
Shen, Y., Choi, H. C., Joppe, M., & Yi, S. (2020). What motivates visitors to participate in a gamified trip? A player typology using Q methodology. Tourism Management, 78, 104074. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2019.104074
Shen, Y., Lever, M., & Joppe, M. (2020). Investigating the appeal of a visitor guide: A triangulated approach. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(4), 1539-1562. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-03-2019-0281
Huang, S., Choi, H. C., Shen, Y., & Chang, H. (2020). Predicting behavioral intention: The mechanism from pre-trip to post-trip. Tourism Analysis: An Interdisciplinary Journal (Accepted)
Joppe, M., Shen, Y., & Veltri, G. (2020). Embedding Indigenous learning outcomes in a tourism curriculum: The case of Confederation College, Canada. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 26, 100241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhlste.2020.100241
Lever, M. W., Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2019). Reading travel guidebooks: Readership typologies using eye-tracking technology. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 14, 100368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2019.100368 *
Shen, Y., Joppe, M., Choi, H. C., & Huang, S. (2018). Domestic tourism of Chinese in Canada: Distinct differences. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 8, 125-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2017.01.003 *
Shen, Y., Morrison, A. M., Wu, B., Park, J., Li, C., & Li, M. (2018). Where in the world? A geographic analysis of a decade of research in tourism, hospitality, and leisure journals. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 42(2), 171-200. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348014563394 *
Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2018). Gamification in tourism advertising: Game mechanics and practices. E-Review of Tourism Research. https://journals.tdl.org/ertr/index.php/ertr/article/view/124
Park, J., Morrison, A. M., Wu, B., Shen, Y., Li, C., & Li, M. (2016). The tourism system research categorization framework. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 21(9), 968-1000. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941665.2015.1085885*
Park, J., Wu, B., Morrison, A. M., Shen, Y., & Li, M. (2015). An integrated analysis of international tourism research patterns for the period of 2003-2012. Tourism Tribune, 30(7), 108-118.
Park, J., Wu, B., Shen, Y., Morrison, A. M., & Kong, Y. (2014). The great halls of China? Meeting planners' perceptions of Beijing as an international convention destination. Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, 15(4), 244-270. https://doi.org/10.1080/15470148.2014.961669
Shen, Y., Park, J., & Wu, B. (2013). Analysis of differences in meeting planners' perceptions of international convention site selection factors: A case study of Beijing. Tourism Tribune, 28(5), 63-71.
Shen, Y., & Wu, B. (2013). Agritourism around cities: Products structure and spatial distribution. Tourism Planning and Design, 3(2), 6-13.
Liu, P., Shen, Y., Guan, W., & Yu, X. (2009). Environmental capacity in world heritage sites: A comprehensive system based on tourist flow. Highlights of Science Paper Online, 2(21), 2341-2347.
- Book Chapters -
Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2020). Gamification: Practices and challenges from stakeholders’ perspectives. In Xu, F. & Buhalis, D. (Eds.). Gamification for Tourism. Bristol: Channel View Publications (In Press).
Shen, Y., Lever, M. W., & Joppe, M. (2020). Best practices for eye-tracking studies: Dos and don’ts. In Rainoldi, M. & Jooss, M. (Eds.). Eye Tracking in Tourism. Berlin: Springer (In Press).
Shen, Y. (2017). Shanghai. In Lowry, L. L. (Ed.). The SAGE International Encyclopedia of Travel and Tourism. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
Shen, Y., & Wu, B. (2013). Chapter 5 Challenges of industrial urbanization (pp. 60-68); Chapter 16 Development modes of recreational belts around metropoles (pp. 221-238). In Wu, B. & Cong, L. (Eds.). Multi-way Urbanization. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press. ISBN: 978-7-112-15022-9.
1. Best Visual Paper Award: Shen, Y., Lever, M. W., & Joppe, M. (2018, June). Determining visitor guide appeal using eye tracking and in-depth interviews: The case of Ottawa, Canada. Presented at the 2018 TTRA Annual International Conference, Miami, USA.
2. Best Graduate Colloquium Paper: Lever, M. W., Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2018, June). Using eye-tracking technology to segment tourism brochure reading typologies. Presented at the 2018 TTRA Annual International Conference, Miami, USA.
3. Shen, Y., Joppe, M., Choi, H. C., & Yi, S. (2019, September). Motives to take a gamified trip: An interpretative study using Q method. Presented at the 2019 TTRA Canada Conference, Saskatoon, Canada.
4. Kokkranikal, J., Shen, Y., Morrison, A. M., & Christensen, C. P. (2019, July). How to better satisfy sailing tourists: An analysis based on Kano's evaluation matrix. Presented at the 2019 International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE) Conference, New Orleans, USA.
5. Joppe, M., Veltri, G. & Shen, Y. (2019, June). Embedding indigenous learning outcomes in a tourism curriculum. Presented at the 2019 TTRA Annual International Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
6. Liang, J., Shen, Y., Huang, S., & Choi, H. C. (2019, May). Mapping brand perception towards Canada: Difference among four countries. Presented at the 2019 APacCHRIE & EuroCHRIE Joint Conference, Hong Kong.
7. Shen, Y., Lever, M. W., & Joppe, M. (2018, September). Improving the appeal of ads in a visitor guide through eye-tracking, surveys, and in-depth interviews. Presented at the 2018 TTRA Canada Conference, Halifax, Canada.
8. Shen, Y., Coca-Stefaniak, J. A., & Morrison, A. M. (2018, September). Success factors related to destinations: An empirical examination of stakeholders' perspectives. Presented at the 2018 TTRA Canada Conference, Halifax, Canada.
9. Coca-Stefaniak, J. A., Shen, Y., & Morrison, A. M. (2018, August). Do tourists, residents and local businesses evaluate a destination in the same way? A case study of Vadstena (Sweden). Presented at the 7th Biennial International Tourism Studies Association Conference, Tshwane, South Africa.
10. Shen, Y., Lever, M. W., & Joppe, M. (2018, April). Using eye-tracking technology to improve travel brochure design. Presented at the 2018 Spotlight on Graduate Research in Tourism & Hospitality, Guelph, Canada.
11. Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2018, January). Gamification in tourism advertising: Game mechanics and practices. Presented at the ENTER2018 (Digital tourism: engagement, content, and networks), Jönköping, Sweden.
12. Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2018, January). Gamification in tourism marketing: Determining advertising engagement using eye tracking and in-depth interview. Presented at the 23rd Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, Fort Worth, USA.
13. Shen, Y. (2017, August). Student engagement: Different class sizes, communication strategies and classroom tools. Presented at the Graduate Student University Teaching Conference, Guelph, Canada.
14. Zhang, Y., Gao, J., Ricci, P., & Shen, Y. (2017, June). Would self-determination intervention facilitate leisure travel pursuit at different challenge levels? – The exploration among people with mobility impairments. Presented at the 2017 TTRA Annual International Conference, Quebec City, Canada.
15. Shen, Y. (2016, September). Personality color and learning preferences: Empowering your communication. Presented at the Graduate Student University Teaching Conference, Guelph, Canada.
16. Shen, Y., Huang, S., Choi, H. C., & Joppe, M. (2016, September). Examining the role of satisfaction and brand love in generating behavioral intention. Presented at the 2016 TTRA Canada Conference, Edmonton, Canada.
17. Liu, Y., Huang, S., Choi, H. C., & Shen, Y. (2016, September). Development of city destination attractiveness index. Presented at the 2016 TTRA Canada Conference, Edmonton, Canada.
18. Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2016, June). Perceived value and value co-creation in a tourism context. Presented at the 3rd Advances in Destination Management Forum, Vail, USA.
19. Van Duren, E., Hayhoe, M., Huang, S., Shen, Y., & Hansen Sterne, R. (2016, June). Learning about supply management: A teaching case based on stakeholder theory. Presented at Scarborough Fare 2016 ASFS/AFHVS/CAFS, Toronto, Canada.
20. Shen, Y., & Joppe, M. (2016, June). Breathing new life into old theories. Presented at the 2016 TTRA Annual International Conference, Vail, USA.
21. Shen, Y. (2016, June). Perceived value in tourism experience. Presented at the TTRA 6th Annual Graduate Student Research Workshop, Vail, USA.
22. Huang, S., Shen, Y., Choi, C., & Liang, J. (2016, January). The emotional relationships between customers and brand: A comparison of brand love, emotional attachment, and brand romance. Presented at the 21st Annual Graduate Education & Graduate Student Research Conference, Philadelphia, USA.
23. Shen, Y., Kim, D., Joppe, M., & Choi, H. C. (2015, September). Destination image of Toronto: International students' perspectives. Presented at the 2015 TTRA Canada Conference, Niagara Falls, Canada.
24. Shen, Y., Huang, S., Choi, H. C., & Joppe, M. (2015, June). Not all Chinese immigrants are homogenous: Domestic travel behaviour patterns in Canada. Presented at the 2015 TTRA Annual International Conference, Portland, USA.
25. Huang, S., Shen, Y., Choi, C. (2015, June). The effects of motivation, satisfaction and perceived value on tourist recommendation. Presented at the 2015 TTRA Annual International Conference, Portland, USA.
26. Shen, Y., & Wu, B. (2012). Sense of place of tourism destinations and representative symbols. Presented at the 2011 Theme Park and Urban Tourism International Conference, November, Shanghai, China.
27. Shen, Y., Wu, B., & Wang, F. (2011, July). Residents' perception and tourists' satisfaction in a recreational business district: A case study of Changjiang Road in Nanjing. Presented at the 2011 TOSOK International Tourism Conference, Seoul, South Korea.
- Robotic Technology in the Hospitality Industry, 2020
- Impacts of Perceived Country Image and Perceived Risks during the COVID-19 Pandemic on Canada Tourism, 2020
- Customer Perceptions of Smart Hotel Features and the Impacts of Smart Hotels on Customer Experiences, 2020
- Gamification in Tourism Marketing, 2019
- Sustainable Approaches to Cultural Heritage for Urban Areas in Europe, 2018
- Indigenization of Tourism Curricula in Canada, 2018
- Eye Tracking in Tourism Studies, 2017
- Canadian Tourist Behavior Insights Research, 2015 – 2016
- Supply Management in the Dairy Industry of Ontario, 2015
- Destination Image of Toronto, 2014
- Bibliometric Research on 31 International Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure Journals, 2013
- Strategic Development of High-end Tourism and Events in Beijing, 2011
- Slow Destination Evaluation Index System, 2011
- Multi-Way Urbanization in China, 2011