All University-funded or sponsored travel to countries outside of Canada is cancelled/postponed until further notice. This applies to faculty, staff, students and researchers, and includes international exchanges and placements.
Student safety is always our first priority.
Below we have outlined some of the frequently asked questions regarding study abroad and COVID-19.
The University of Guelph has also created an FAQ page for additional questions
Please review the section below that pertains to your situation:
- Applications for S21, F21, W22 Exchange
- UofG W21 Exchange Participants
- UofG F20 Exchange Participants
Please, also check out some of the Wellness resources we have gathered for you!
At this point, it is too early to be able to make a decision about the 2021-22 exchange programs. We will evaluate the summer, fall, and winter semesters on a case-by-case basis as we get closer. We will continue with the application process as usual, however, we continue to encourage students not to make any plans that they cannot change or cancel.
We base our decisions on the Government of Canada Travel Advisories and the University of Guelph's advice, among other information. We will provide more information here, and email affected students if necessary.
Information Sessions for the 2020-21 academic year will be held online and there will be no in-person sessions. There is a CourseLink site where you will be able to go through the information at your own pace, and if you have any questions along the way you are welcome to drop-in to a Q&A session with our Peers and Education Abroad Advisors. Find out more and how to sign up for an info session here.
On Tuesday, September 1st all W21 exchange programs at UofG were cancelled. Affected students received an email from the Centre for International Programs informing them that their W21 exchange placement was cancelled.
If you were a W21 exchange student and haven't already done so, please fill in this survey to indicate your decision of deferral or cancellation.
We base our decisions on the Government of Canada Travel Advisories and the University of Guelph's advice, among other information.
We have let all of our partner institutions know that we have cancelled both inbound and outbound W21 exchange programs. Therefore, your host university is aware that you will not be coming for the winter semester.
There is no cancellation fee for W21 exchange participants.
We are communicating with our partner institutions to determine which can accommodation deferrals to a later term. Use the survey below to indicate your preference. If you wish to defer, we will contact you at a later date to follow up and begin this process.
Affected students received an email from the Centre for International Programs on Tuesday, May 19, 2020, informing them at their F20 exchange placement was cancelled.
If you were an F20 exchange student and haven't already done so, please fill in this survey to indicate your decision of deferral or cancellation.
We have let all of our partner institutions know that we have cancelled both inbound and outbound F20 exchange programs. Therefore, your host university is aware that you will not be coming for the fall semester.
There is no cancellation fee for Fall 2020 exchange participants.
No cheques that CIP received for the $80 fee have been deposited. If you paid by cash, please email Dimitra, email@example.com, for more information.
We are communicating with our partner institutions to determine which can accommodation deferrals to the W21 semester. Use the survey below to indicate your preference. If you wish to defer, we will contact you later this summer to follow up and begin this process.
UofG Wellness Services
- Make an appointment for over the phone or video counselling through Wellness Services
- Call 519-824-4120 x53244 to make an appointment
- Or call 519-824-4120 x53444 for same-day (drop-in) appointments for urgent situations
- Visit their website for more FAQ and resources
- Check out their Finding Your SHINE Amid COVID-19 document
Urgent 24/7 Access
- Here 24/7 at 1-884-437-3247
- Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454
- HelpPhone at 1-800-668-6868, or if you prefer texting support, text UofG to 686868
- myWellness powered by Inkblot offers online video counselling - your first session is free and your student health insurance/any family benefits can help cover the cost
Online Self-Directed Supports
- COVID-19 Anxiety:
- Anxiety Canada: My Anxiety Plan - an online resource providing self-help information for anxiety, as well as a CBT based curriculum
- Big White Wall: a free, online mental health and wellbeing service that helps people who are dealing with everyday stressors and mild to moderate depression and anxiety. This service provides virtual online peer support and self-management tools for adults and youth:
- Centre for Clinical Intervention: Coping with depression online modules & workbook and support for health anxiety
- Woebot: an automated conversation agent who helps you to monitor your mood and learn about yourself. Use the referral code ONTARIO to get local resources, if needed.
- Mindshift: CBT app for anxiety support
Please note that the CIP office is working remotely until further notice. If you need to get in touch with members of our office please see the contact list here.
If you feel the COVID-19 situation in your location is escalating and you require advice or assistance, please call the Guard.me COVID-19 assistance line:
Guard.me International Insurance COVID 19 Crisis Assistance Line
USA: +1-619-717-8549 (collect call)
Quote: Special Students CRC assistance 200227GRDME
This number will provide you with assistance related to:
- When and how to seek medical assistance
- General health and safety advice given your current location and travel situation
- Coordination of insurance benefits if you have a claim
- If required, the crisis assistant will make arrangements for/coordinate evacuation and execute transport