Incoming Mitacs Global Research Interns

If you are coming to the University of Guelph as a Mitacs Globalink Research Intern (GRI) the information below should help you prepare for your visit and adjust to life in Canada. 

  • The Government of Canada refers to ‘visas’ and ‘entry permits’ (study permit, work permit or temporary resident visa). 
  • Your hosting department at Guelph will register you as a Nil-Salaried Intern (possible work permit required), then it is your responsibility to check the Immigration Canada website to see what type of entry permit you need. In your acceptance letter from Mitacs, it states that GRIs are coming through the 120-day work permit exemption stream.  However, it is a good idea to check whether you need a Work Permit by completing a short quiz here
  • You will find a link to the Immigration Guidebook for GRIs on the Mitacs website. This document describes what you should consider and what you need to know when applying for an entry permit.
  • Some information and useful links are also provided on the Immigration Information page on the U of G Student Experience website. 
  • If you have questions about the entry permit process, the International Student Advisors at the University of Guelph are qualified to answer questions you may have. Find more information about the International Student Advisors here.

On-Campus Options:

  • Summer Hostel offers options in the East Village over the summer months. If you are looking to make reservations before the booking opens for the summer, please email and make sure to tell them you are a Mitacs student. 
    • Please note, that normally the Summer Hostel doesn't open until the third week in May. If you plan to stay in the Summer Hostel and arrive before it opens, you will be required to arrange your own short-term accommodation until it opens.

Off-Campus Options:

  • Due to the short duration of your stay, you may find it difficult to find accommodation for the duration of your stay as most landlords require longer-term leases. 
  • is a site where you can view listings in Guelph 
  • You may be able to find U of G students who are subletting their room on sites like The Cannon or Facebook Marketplace 
  • You may wish to explore short-term rental options, such as AirBnb or Vrbo for long-term rentals without a lease. 
  • Other tips and information can be found on the Off-Campus Living website.

Your department will register you as a NIL salaried employee and you will have to purchase University Health Inurance Plan (UHIP) through Human Resources at the University of Guelph. Because Guelph requires you to purchase health insurance through the University, you should opt out of the insurance provided by Mitacs.
As a Nil-Salaried Intern, you will not have access to the walk-in health services on campus and will be required to use the local clinics/services or go to the emergency room at Guelph General Hospital. Use the Ontario Government Health811 to find a local health service. Enter the keyword 'walk in clinic' and location 'Guelph' if you are need to find a medical clinic that is open.  

There are many options to consider when looking to get from the airport to the U of G campus. Check out this website, under the 'Public Transportation' section for the options that will apply to you

Your Guelph Department is the academic unit at the University of Guelph that is hosting you. It's the academic department where your supervising professor works. Your supervisors/department will do the following things for you:

  • Provide a Letter of Invitation
  • Set up a U of G email account
  • Ensure you are registered for the appropriate health insurance
  • Request an ID card, e-access, and library access

If you need assistance when you arrive contact your supervisor (identified on your Letter of Invitation), and your supervisor or the departmental administrator should be able to assist you. 

The University of Guelph has prepared a list of resources for students who are new to Canada. Please check out the LIvining in Canada resources here

Additionally, you should be assigned a Mitacs Mentor in Guelph whom you can meet with and ask questions. Mitcas Mentors are usually University of Guelph students who are familiar with campus and the city.