How to Make an Information Request under FIPPA

The University of Guelph, through its administrative and academic units, routinely provides information to the public. There is no automatic requirement to invoke FIPPA’s provisions; informal inquiries are welcomed. If you are unsure which office to contact please contact, in the first instance, the Privacy Officer by emailing

If you choose to formally submit a request for information under FIPPA, there is a defined process to follow. You must submit a completed Access to Information and Correction Request Form (s.24.148.1)  and the $5.00 application fee (Reg. 460, s. 5.2). You may email the request form to or deliver it by hand or mailing it, along with the $5.00 application fee, to the University Secretariat 4th Floor, University Centre, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, N1G 2W1. Make your cheque or money order payable to the University of Guelph.

Note: a clearly defined request will greatly assist the University to identify the records/personal information sought. And please note that University may contact you about the facts and circumstances of the situation to clarify the access or correction request. 

If you have any questions about this process or are unsure what can be routinely disclosed please contact the Privacy Officer at

Note to Staff: if you receive a request for information under FIPPA, please contact the Privacy Officer immediately, as requests are time-sensitive.