Carbon Neutral Study Abroad
Study abroad and international experiences are fantastic opportunities for students to develop academically, professionally, and personally. However, CIP recognizes that travel associated with study abroad is a contributing factor to climate change.
How Does Air Travel Impact Climate Change?
These facts come from the David Suzuki Foundation website:
- One return flight from Montreal to London emits as much carbon emissions as heating a European home for an entire year.
- The total carbon impact of a single flight is so high that avoiding just one trip can be equivalent to going (gasoline) car-free for a year.
- If the aviation sector were a nation, it would be among the top 10 global emitters.
Check out the PlanetAir's website for useful tips and advice to start reducing your carbon emissions now.
CIP's Commitment to Carbon Neutral Study Abroad and the SDG's
In keeping with SDG #13 Climate Action ‘Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact’, CIP is investing in sustainable solutions that aim to offset carbon emissions. Additionally, CIP is committed to offsetting carbon emissions for all CIP business-related travel and encourages all U of G staff, faculty, and students to reduce their carbon footprint.
Achieving Carbon Neutral Study Abroad by 2025
To reach our goal of carbon neutral study abroad by 2025, CIP is:
- Collaborating with PlanetAir, a non-profit leader in the fight against climate change. Planetair markets carbon credits of the highest quality to counterbalance non-reducible carbon emissions.
- Partnering with the University of Guelph Sustainability Office to collaborate on the promotion and educational pieces of this initiative
- Encouraging students to purchase carbon offsets for their study abroad flights. (Find more information below) CIP will match student carbon offsets up to $4,000/year.
- Expanding virtual exchange programs to provide U of G students with intercultural opportunities without needing to get on a plane.
- Collaborating with 40 of our partner universities on current initiatives and future projects. Find details about the sustainability initiatives, clubs, and more on our program search tool.
- Visit the PlanetAir 'Offset Your Emissions' webpage
- Click 'Air Travel Calculator'
- Enter your flight details
- Click 'Calculate'
- Click 'Add to Cart'
- Check the box that says 'I have a Promo Code'
- Enter the appropriate code (using this promo code will allow CIP to match your contributions, up to $4,000/year)
- Undergraduate Students: UOG-UGSTUDENT
- Graduate Students: UOG-GRADSTUDENT
- Choose a project that you would like to contribute to
- Procced with the payment instructions
By entering our contest, not only do you get a chance to win a gift card, but by submitting your receipt CIP will be able to match your carbon offset contributions.
- After purchasing your carbon offsets, please enter our contest here.
- CIP will randomly select one winner from all entries, dates outlined below.
- Winners will be emailed details about their prize pack, which includes a $50 Hospitality gift card and more!
|Term||Deadline to Enter||Prize Draw Date|
|Winter Semester||March 31||April 15|
|Summer Semester||July 31||August 15|
|Fall Semester||November 30||December 15|
Contest Details and Rules:
- One entry allowed per person, per international experience. For example, you would get one extry for participating in and offsetting your summer field school and another entry if you participated in and offeset your semester exchange.
- Winners will be contacted by email and will have the option to pick up their prize or have it mailed to them.
By using the promo code CIP will be able to track the contributions made by the U of G community and will help us see which group can offset the most carbon over the next year
- Faculty: UOG-FACULTY
- Staff: UOG-STAFF
- Alumni: UOG-ALUMNI
If you have any questions about this initiaitive or the contest, please email email@example.com.