Emergency Contacts for Guelph Students Abroad

New Zealand

Medical, Fire or Police Emergency

In the event of an emergency which requires immediate medical or other emergency services, please call the local emergency number in the country in which you are residing. Please note that all countries have a system similar to 911, but the number may be different, so be sure to check the emergency number for your area.

University of Guelph Emergency Contacts

University of Guelph Campus Security Services (24/7)

+1-519-824-2640 (collect calls accepted)
A 24-hour dispatcher is available to assist you and will know how to contact CIP staff after hours.

Centre for International Programs (weekdays, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm EST)

+1-519-824-4120 x 54876

Lynne Mitchell, Director, Centre for International Programs 

Office: +1-519-824-4120 Ext. 56914 (during business hours)
Email: lmitchel@uoguelph.ca

Canadian Government, Emergency Assistance Abroad

It is recommended that all students travelling abroad complete the Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) prior to their departure.

Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

To request emergency services contact:

Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Phone: + 1-613-996-8885 (call collect)
Check the GAC website below before you leave to find the toll free number for the countries in which you are travelling.
Email: sos@international.gc.ca
For more information on emergency assistance for Canadians abroad visit the website here

Canadian Embassies and Consulates
Contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate that provides consular services to Canadians.
Click here to find a directory of embassies and consulates that provide services to Canadians around the world. 

Travel Health Insurance

Guard Me Travel Health Insurance is mandatory for all Guelph students participating in a Guelph study abroad (exchange, field school, etc.) program or international experience. If you have other travel health insurance, contact them for emergency contact information.

Guard Me Emergency Assistance Contact Information

  • From the USA or Canada: 1-800-334-7787
  • From Dominican Republic: 1-888-751-4866
  • From Mexico: 001-800-514-0409
  • From Europe: 00-800-758-75875
  • From Australia: 0011-800-758-75875
  • From Elsewhere Operator Assisted Collect: 905-667-0587