Wellness While You're Abroad
It is important to remember to take care of yourself; mentally, physically, and emotionally while travelling. Remember to utilize the resources available to you and reach out to peers or professionals if you need help! Below are some resources to help keep yourself well and make the most of your study abroad experience.
You still have access to Guelph Wellness Services while you're away.
Reach out to the wellness services available at your host institution.
Practice mindfulness techniques with the White Polar Bear Project
- Journal - writing things down can be therapeutic, and will also be a great keepsake down the line.
- Spend time outside (walking, sitting in a park, etc. ) - explore and get to know your new city
- Listen to music
- Cook/bake - remember that eating healthy can help you feel better and make for a smoother transition. Additionally, you should try the local foods of your host country but ordering something that reminds you home every once and a while isn't a bad thing!
- Chat with friends - it is always good to catch up with friends from home, but if you are feeling homesick it may be better to talk with your new exchange friends as they are going through the same adjustment and feelings you are.
- Exercise (gym, sports team, hike, bike, etc.)
- Go see a movie (see how the movie theatre experience is different)
- Be a tourist in your own community
- Slow down - you don't have to be travelling and busy all the time
- Be around other people, sometimes staying in your room can make feelings of homesickness worse. Whether it's one friend, a group of friends, or the general public, being around others can help.
Remember the processes of culture shock and homesickness, and learn to distinguish the differences between these more short-term feelings and some more long-lasting negative feelings of sadness or anxiety.